VPN's

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
VPN's are great. They help cut out trackers following you all over the web and tossing ad after ad at you. There's also more anonymity, but I'm not sure how much. I do know that there are those that try to learn more about you by your IP address. A VPN throws them way off.

The downside is very small. Some secure sites such as some banking and other financial sites will detect a VPN and deny access. There can also be some issues with e-mail because spammers use VPN'S and cause trouble for the rest of us by getting IP ranges banned by anti-spam software. It's no big deal if you run into that. You can just temporarily disable the VPN.

I would highly recommend Nord VPN. It's inexpensive and doesn't negatively impact your connection at all. Some VPN's are slow. Nord is not.

rmac

Active Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Considering purchasing a VPN service to install. Can any of you give me a good one and the pros & cons of it(them).
Don't post much but for the past four years I have used the Proton VPN and also Proton Mail. They are out of Switzerland and the most secure I have found.
Give them a try and you will not be disappointed.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
So, be careful with VPN's. They collect your data, and they sell it. So you're not always getting the best value, especially with the cheap vpn's.

Also, if a scammer gets on a site and is caught the IP is blocked (IE you are blocked for using the same service) Just a heads up.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
So, be careful with VPN's. They collect your data, and they sell it. So you're not always getting the best value, especially with the cheap vpn's.

Also, if a scammer gets on a site and is caught the IP is blocked (IE you are blocked for using the same service) Just a heads up.
And what do you think that Google and Microsoft are doing, just to name two. With a VPN all the unsolicited ads STOP, unlike with Google, Edge, Gmail, FB, Twitter, Ebay, Amazon, etc. without an VPN. Even Ebay and Amazon do not recognize you and they will send you a EM saying that someone unknown is trying to get into you account and send you a special code so you can enter your account, as a higher level of security. I see this as a good thing, because Ebay and Amazon do not know if you are at home on your computer or somewhere else. 1667796290922.gif

If you run into an IP that is blocked and all you have to do is change to one that is not blocked. One minute you are from the State of NY the next minute you are from the State of CA. or maybe you want to be from the UK or Germany, poopf! there you are.

I'm in Mount Prospect, IL 51°F right now. That's getting to cold for me.

1667795226535.gif

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
And what do you think that Google and Microsoft are doing, just to name two. With a VPN all the unsolicited ads STOP, unlike with Google, Edge, Gmail, FB, Twitter, Ebay, Amazon, etc. without an VPN. Even Ebay and Amazon do not recognize you and they will send you a EM saying that someone unknown is trying to get into you account and send you a special code so you can enter your account, as a higher level of security. I see this as a good thing, because Ebay and Amazon do not know if you are at home on your computer or somewhere else.
1667796290922.gif
That's going away soon, with the death of the cookie as we know it. They will start to pair that with emails instead of IPs and cookies, so it's really a moot point you mention there. Also, Google and Microsoft base it off what you are actively looking at, so again, they aren't tracking you like the ISPs or even your router which can collect information about you and send it back to a corporation.

The VPN you are using is known to be used by scammers.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
You should also note, that if you use Netflix, or other products like that on your router without installing the VPN there, you're still being tracked and monitored by what you watch on your smart devices.

Not to mention that VPN's do slow down your internet connection.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
We first must remember why we have a VPN. Privacy! G-Mail tracks you!

As we all know a little look under the hood, will get you further down the road.
I have less than a year of NORD left. I will not be going back, after 2 years I'm not satisfied.

I'm using the Proton.me free e-mail now & from what I read & see Proton.me is where I will be going next for my mail & VPN.
Ever notice how many programs are like the TV changer? Buttons in the wrong places LOL.
The Proton.me Mail is designed by someone with common sense, very refreshing. Ever use an I phone? :eek:

Latest posts