Volquartsen Closeouts Now Happening

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
My current model is the Mark III hunter. Shot many steel challenge matches with that pistol.

I looked for dang near 2 years for the Ruger Mark III Hunter that I now have:

Ij6ILSU.jpg

Ruger didn't make very many with this barrel length, but I finally found this one at Williams Gun Sights, in Michigan, that one of my customers told me about. It's had a few modifications done, like the removal of the magazine disconnect, the "loaded cartridge indicator" and a steel trigger installed, so now it's one of my favorite shooters.

dennishoddy

Mine has the longer barrel. I've never understood the reason to remove the loaded cartridge indicator.
I think it's an asset so one doesn't have to open the slide to see if a round is in there, and I've shot many steel challenges matches with that pistol. The loaded cartridge indicator hasn't been an issue in any shooters I'm familiar with.
Why would it need to be removed?

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
Many Mark III owners have found that spent cases get "tripped" and turned sideways, case mouth pointing outward, so they stove-pipe between the bolt face and the front edge of the receiver port due to hitting the metal tab on the front end of the LCI before hitting the ejector, so they'll remove the LCI completely and either leave it open or install a filler. No more stove-pipes thereafter.
I use dry wall anchors as "snap-caps" to relax the compression of the hammer spring in my Ruger Mark pistols, so with a snap-cap installed the LCI gives a false positive that the pistol is loaded.

dennishoddy

I've never experienced the stove pipe issues on the Mark III hunter personally so I've left it in. When at the line, I don't have to crack the slide open to make sure a round is chambered in steel challenge.
What I do see is that a lot of people don't lube their RF pistols and suffer lots of failures during matches.
I'll suggest they apply a little lube and get reminded by them that their guns run better dry.
I want to say does that apply to your vehicle you drove out to the match in, but don't just knowing that they won't be competing for anything but last place in the match.

Latest posts