Versamax help, please!

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Versamax sportsman, all work done by me (don't judge just yet). The lifter is hanging sometimes (often) when trying to chamber the next round. Slight pressure on the lifter or pushing the charging handle forward will make it load. Less force required on the lifter.

I have read online that the lifter interferes with a portion of the trigger assembly, housing, group, chunk. Rough casting that's a bit too big and too rough. I have already polished all the contact points that I can find.

Do I need to take off more material? You can still see where 2 polished surfaces are rubbing together. Maybe polish the inside of the receiver opposite the shell catch/bolt release. It's painted the same flat black as the outside and shells are leaving marks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/1kSTZTOiB_A

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Did it work prior to doing the mods? If it did, I'm not sure why removing more material would be the answer.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
No it did not. It hung up before I polished anything. That's what sent me to the Web looking for answers.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
No it did not. It hung up before I polished anything. That's what sent me to the Web looking for answers.
then there may be something that was bent or out of spec when you got it.
It might need the eyes of experience to find the root of the problem.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
benny hill said:
Did you push in on the bolt release button before installing the trigger group??
Yes, it won't go in without pushing the button.
Wall said:
then there may be something that was bent or out of spec when you got it.
It might need the eyes of experience to find the root of the problem.
That's what I'm thinking too. I almost feel like if it did it 100% of the time it would be easier to diagnose.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
benny hill said:
Did you push in on the bolt release button before installing the trigger group??
^^^I'd send it to this guy.^^^

He has probably put together more raced out VM's than any other gunsmith.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
That's what I'm thinking too. I almost feel like if it did it 100% of the time it would be easier to diagnose.
You'd definitely be more likely to recognize a bad or out of spec part

What I'm saying is......if the part is bad to begin with, no amount of polishing will clear it up & most of the time a novice won't know whether or not it's bad or just rough.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Hank Coates said:
new mag tube spring solves this.
Sorry I never updated this with the fix. Seems the lifter was a bit too heavy. I extended the groove nearly to the tip and the problem has stopped. Several hundred round through it now without that problem happening.