Varmint shooting with an AR-squeaks

Docneeley

Well-Known Fanatic
A friend built me an AR (Mean Green Firearms) I use for varmint hunting. We shoot ground squirrels in southern Oregon and they have a plague of them. The pastures look like a lawn they are so eaten down. It's great practice as shots are out to 400 yds. and you really learn to control breathing to keep the cross hairs steady. We shoot 400-500 rounds a day over a couple days and go every year.
The farmers and ranchers love us and it's a blast. As soon as we start shooting buzzards, eagles, hawks, ravens, and sea gulls start circling to clean everything up, so we have to keep moving. The AR's are so much fun to shoot like this and it's great practice.

Attachments

• 012 (1280x762).jpg
    012 (1280x762).jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 013 (1280x956).jpg
    013 (1280x956).jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 0

dennishoddy

Man, that's an awesome set up! Prairie dog shooting like we have in Ok is on my bucket list to do. Just need to find a place to do it.

Docneeley

Well-Known Fanatic
The pics are in Oregon. We go to Montana for Prairie dogs and coyotes. Occasionally we bag a badger too. I have a friend in Montana with 50 sections. We use our quads and stay in his old bunkhouse (with a hundred mice) but fun.

Docneeley

Well-Known Fanatic
Just back from our shoot. The four of us shot over 1000 sage rats in 2 days and had a great time. Me and my buddy shot our AR's and got them out to 300 yds. He did something I've never thought about as he brought along his 3 gun shotgun for any close in rats and he must have got 10 with it. Hilarious! One lasered at 64 yds. He also got an albino which was very cool. Only one I've ever seen in the wild.
Next year, we're taking grandkids and his son.
My friend my age shot a Cooper in Tac-20 and it was deadly at any range. Very impressive performance. A great time and any one wanting to get trigger time on their AR, It's a blast and great practice. 2 days shooting 6"x2" targets at distance make the 2 gun steel and paper look huge.

Latest posts