V-Drill

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
I was searching for better rifle drills and came across Jerry Miculek's V-Drill, essentially 5 targets placed in a V-pattern that forces you to transition. All in all it's 18 rounds of fun and I ran it with my optic and with my offset irons. Walking into it I thought the offsets would be faster but I was surprised about how much faster they were.

My best time out of 4 runs (2 optic and 2 offset) was 5.33, not bad. I think Jerry did it in 3.55 so I have some work to do. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuNSB9jkpyQ

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I like this drill a lot as a competitive drill because of the two shots. A lot of the more "tactical" drills such as the 1-5 or Chaos Drills are well-suited for self defense, but not so much for competition. I'll put it on a timer maybe today or tomorrow and see how I do. 5.33 sounds like a good time.

Ryan Groves

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
I like the idea of this drill a lot. Will run run it some this year.
I like the idea of using this drill for handgun, maybe increasing the distance between rows of targets more as well (deepen the V, instead of them being relatively the same distance like his are). Get some left to right transitions, and close to far transitions.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
Ryan Groves said:
I like the idea of using this drill for handgun, maybe increasing the distance between rows of targets more as well (deepen the V, instead of them being relatively the same distance like his are). Get some left to right transitions, and close to far transitions.
I was thinking the same thing but I decided against it, for now. 18 rounds of pistol on a 6-7 second drill is hard to swallow, to me anyway. I am pretty static with the pistol drills I run each time but next time I set this one up I may run it with the pistol and see how it feels and if I get much benefit from it.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You don't have to do the exact drill. Change the number of shots, throw in some reloads.

The time you do the drill in is not a constant. You make A-zone hits as fast as you can, and that time will come down as you get faster.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
Ran the drill a few times yesterday morning and it went well, I am still hovering in the low 5's. I think I am still focusing too much on A-zone hits rather than really letting loose and just getting 2 on paper. Also ran the Keith Garcia shotgun reload drill and it worked well. Dropping deuces I was hovering around 12 seconds.

I tried to get a video like all the cool kids do but I only had an 8 year old with me, let's just say the videomanship wasn't any good!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
wixthedog said:
Also ran the Keith Garcia shotgun reload drill and it worked well. Dropping deuces I was hovering around 12 seconds.
That Garcia load 12 drill is a good one

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts