Using bullets in a cap and ball BP revolver

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
i recently bought a Pietta model 1858 Black powder revolver (fair warning I know very little about black powder weapons so i am sure i am going to get some things wrong) (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-M ... l+Products). i ordered a mold for it (when I looked around no one seems to sell basic musket balls. Everyone sells black powder sabots for rifle, but no one sells basic balls) and when I opened the package to look at the mold it is a bullet mold (conical bullets instead of balls). According to Cabelas customer service these are perfectly safe to fire in the revolver. However since they sold me the bullet mold and were telling me it was a ball mold (and the picture shows a ball mold) I am taking this with a fairly large grain of salt. Does anyone fire black powder weapons, specifically this pistol or one similar to it? Is it safe to fire conical bullets in a cap and ball revolver? Will it cause any problems doing so?

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
in my opinion

if its the right cal, they will shoot better and as long as they go deep enough in the cylinder. use lube to cover the end of the exposed bullet to prevent "chain fire".

get more opinions.

next............

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been firing round ball from my new inline black powder rifle (even had it out at Shootzenfest).It takes ball and sabot.

ATP gun shop has ball in several calibers, not sure where you are though. Midway and Graf&Sons also has ball. Think I paid about $24 for 100 rounds.

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
i was just out at ATP friday looking in the reloading section and didn't see any. was i looking in the wrong spot?

I went ahead and ordered a round ball mold from cabellas, hoefully this time it will actually be a ball mold and not a bullet mold :lol: . Im going to hold on to the bullet mold though, since i can always use it for 45 ammo if i want to (thant and what id pay to return it makes it impractical). I'm just annoyed they sold me the wrong thing to start with

The General

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot blackpowder pistol in competition. Use the round ball. Lots of reasons, but round ball better.

Now, a .450 mold may be too small. Most 44 cal pistols work better with a .451 or larger. The only way to know is to a) slug the barrel and b) measure the chamber size (with a caliper). The chamber 'should be' larger than the barrel bore. And you want the ball to be slightly larger than the chamber size, such that a very small amount of lead is shaved off when you load the ball.

For powder charge, use real black powder, 3Fffg (Three F). Start with about 20 grains. Then, add cream of wheat to top-off the chamber. Then load the ball. You should be able to load it without too much difficulty, but it MUST be just below the top of the cylinder, otherwise it won't rotate. If you get 'stuck', shave the top of the high ball off with a knife.

Speaking of the balls, use PURE lead (soft). No hard lead, no wheel weights.

Take it to the range and use a sandbag rest. shoot it at 25 yards without changing your point of aim. See what kind of group you get. Then adjust powder load 1 grain at a time (higher or lower) and reshoot for group. I know folks that shoot as little as 10 grains and some as high as 30 grains.

To clean it, use plain water. Use patches and Q-tips, especially in the rear of the chambers. Remove the nipples and clean everything. Use a soft toothbrush, we with water. You do NOT need to brush the barrel or chambers. Simple water and patches/Q-Tips will disolve the fouling.

Hit it with some WD-40 (to dry up and residual water), wipe excess clean, then oily patch down the barrel and chambers. Light coat of oil on the gun.

Have fun!!

-Mike

Latest posts