Tunes......let’s hear ‘em

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
How about an original tune?

Has anyone ever written, arranged, recorded, and produced their own original song? I did a few years back (2014), and started using Audacity on my computer, and little by little, it all came together.

You see, I'm not just a guitar player. I play a wide variety of instruments as well. So, I wrote them into my song, with the idea of a 60's or 70's Chicago (Terry Kath) style or something like that...

My two (now late) brothers-in-law served in Vietnam back in the day, and miraculously made it back home in one piece. I was a little kid (8 years old during the heyday of Vietnam) and remember Walter Cronkite on the news, the Huntley-Brinkley Report, etc... and wrote the song from the eyes and mindset of an 8 year old kid. I used lyrical imagery based on things my brothers-in-law told me over the years, and some of the things they talked about are in the lyrics.

Drums: I wrote the drum track in Finale, and looped it as a MIDI file.
Bass: Me on my Samick 4 string bass.
Rhythm guitar: Me on my Fender Stratocaster.
Keyboards: Me on my Yamaha DGX-505 in "rock organ" mode.
Lead guitar: Me on my Fender Stratocaster w/ wah-wah pedal.
Trumpet: Me on my school band Holton Collegiate trumpet.
Trombone: Me on my school band Conn Director trombone.
Vocals: Me straining at the top of my range.
Harmony vocals: Me adding a higher falsetto harmony line.

What do you think? I made it all into a big slideshow using a Windows Movie Maker app on my computer. Note: The man standing there at the Vietnam Wall where the lyrics say "pray for all the names on the wall..." --- that is a cameo by my (now late) brother-in-law Jack, who recently succumbed to cancer from Agent Orange. :(
Edit: The little kid in the video "I was a little kid when you went away to war" -- that is a photo of ME from 4th grade in elementary school.

Latest posts