Training

brandon4921

Fanatic
I haven't shot a 3 gun match before. How do you guys prepare for a match physically and shooting wise at home and on the range?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Work on improving your worst skill sets. Most people don't do physical training/working out. Practice reloading the shotgun a whole awful lot. Practice on the range as you would at home, but add group shooting and accuracy drills. You should be doing speed drills at home in dryfire that translate straight across to live fire. Don't make a lot of changes to your sights/optics. Get something good and master it, only changing gear when it makes sense. Consistency is the key.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Physical fitness is one aspect of 3 gun I don't do nearly enough of. I've gained more lbs than I'd like to admit, but when I was a little slimmer my scores were much better.
Tacos and beer are killing my good competitive shooting.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Shotgun- loading it. Turning safety on and off. Loading it. Transitions. Loading it. Using the controls. Loading it. Go for load 2 or quad loading.

Rifle- using the controls, reloads, index, transitions. Turning the safety on and off.

Pistol- will require 200x more practice. Buy the Enos book. Buy a Ben Stoeger book or video. Copy the drills. Do Burkett reloads. Work on the draw an incredible amount. Transitions. Index. Eat it, drink it, sleep it. Try a metronome to time transitions to. Don't lie to yourself, the paper targets won't provide a cover story.

Buy a real shot timer, like the Pocket Pro 2. Cell phone shot timer apps are trash.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Mitch Gibson said:
Shotgun- loading it. Turning safety on and off. Loading it. Transitions. Loading it. Using the controls. Loading it. Go for load 2 or quad loading.

Rifle- using the controls, reloads, index, transitions. Turning the safety on and off.

Pistol- will require 200x more practice. Buy the Enos book. Buy a Ben Stoeger book or video. Copy the drills. Do Burkett reloads. Work on the draw an incredible amount. Transitions. Index. Eat it, drink it, sleep it. Try a metronome to time transitions to. Don't lie to yourself, the paper targets won't provide a cover story.

Buy a real shot timer, like the Pocket Pro 2. Cell phone shot timer apps are trash.
That is the most coherent thing I've heard you say in months. Laying off the weed is paying off

Good stuff

posted via Tapatalk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The biggest thing new shooters struggle with is knowing their zero on each gun especially the rifle and their limits with each gun. Dont waste all your ammo missing. Take a miss penalty and move on if you can't hit something.

One of the best ways to practice for a 3-gun match is to shoot USPSA or steel challenge. The pistol will likely be the hardest gun to do well with at first. It has a short sight radius, the crappiest trigger and most people havent shot ones lot prior to getting started.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If you have any GM pistol guys teaching classes in your area by all means take one of their classes sooner then later.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
Practice what you suck at!!! But seriously shotgun reloads and knowing where slugs hit out to 100yrds is useful. Practice reloads on the move in your backyard weaving around obstacles and moving different directions. The rifle is usually the easiest for most to pickup on and be proficient with but you have to know your holds for longer range shots. As for pistol there are tons of dry fire drills etc but the best $$ spent on my pistol game, and overall shooting period, was taking a 1 on 1 class with a USPSA GM. Best $$$$ I have spent on this game hands down!!!!!

Latest posts