Tornado shelter/ saferooms....

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife and I are looking at investing in a tornado shelter/ saferoom for our house, the big metal box kind that bolts to the slab. We've found one that we're fairly interested in, but was wondering if any one here has had any experience (good or bad) with any of these or the companies that sell/ install them?

Still doing research so I thought I'd ask the "experts"!

KC

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got one of the shelters installed in the garage slab. Not exactly the same you're looking at, but I did some research before I bought one. Ground Zero is run by idiots. I don't know if they even make an above slab model, but avoid them if they do. I ended up install one built by Flat Safe and I was very happy with their installation.

My slab is post tension. The builder installed a block-out for me in the garage so I could install a shelter at a later date if I wanted to. I met with the sales manager at Ground Zero and gave him the dimensions of my block-out. He said that it would work fine. Install crew showed up and said it was too small and they needed to cut the hole larger. I told them they couldn't go larger or they would cut one of my post tension cables in the slab. They gave me the owner's number and left for their next install. After 4 messages and 2 weeks later, I finally talked to the owner. He said they could try and make it work, but no promises. Then he went on to say "we cut post tension cables all of the time. It is no problem if we need to cut one in your slab." I hung up and called Flat Safe. I can not believe the dumbass said that.

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
We have flat safe installing one. It is going to be the end of July, but that was expected. I deal with several "storm shelter" companies on a daily basis. I don't want to go bashing, but I will say to go with Flat safe for in the garage. Oklahoma Shelters and Precast Solutions also do good work. One of my inlaws just had Ground Zero install a shelter in their garage. They ordered the big one. When they got home from work, Ground Zero had installed the small one. They told him it was too late to do anything about it. He got a little money back, but is not happy with the small shelter.

teamacacia

Active Fanatic
I have one of the ground zero in-ground shelters in the garage. A question I recently came up with is, Is it possible to use the shelter for some long term food/water storage? I guess my biggest concern is if the temps get too hot and would cause spoilage. I didn't have an opportunity to check temps in the shelter during the hottest days of the summer.

dennishoddy

I think you will be fine with storage. The ground temps will be much lower than ambient outside temps, and will remain more constant.

Just be sure to cycle your supplies on occasion. More so in the summer.

ttpham3

Fanatic
I was wondering for those with the slab shelter, do you guy have water or feel water underneath yout shelter? We had a shelter for less than a year and its made of the FRP Composite and now there a noticable bump in the middle. Its probably a good 3-4 inch rise in the middle and you can feel the water slush around underneath. The manufactor said its was normal and they won't do anything about it.

dennishoddy

Was the shelter anchored in the ground before the fill dirt was put over it? Every underground container, be it fuel or or shelter that I've seen installed was anchored on or under concrete to prevent them from floating out of the ground.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
That's how the flatsafe shelter I have was installed the dug a foot under the bottom, suspended the shelter from the garage floor the back filled the sides and bottom with concrete.

ttpham3

Fanatic
That's how the flatsafe shelter I have was installed the dug a foot under the bottom, suspended the shelter from the garage floor the back filled the sides and bottom with concrete.

I used the same company. It just doesn't feel right with with the water there.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
We have a Ground Zero installed in our garage. Great unit, good people to deal with and the installation was top drawer. Absolutely no complaints.............and that's saying something for me to say that!

Latest posts