Tom Givens 3 Day Instructor Development Class

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
Finally after my brain has settled down a bit, I've got time to do a little re-cap of what the Tom Givens 3 Day Instructor Development Class was all about over the weekend at the Dallas Pistol Club.

Tom has been working in Firearms Instruction for nearly 40 years and has over 25 years of LE and Specialized Security Work experience. He has a very extensive background and is definitely on of THE greats in the industry.

Class would start promptly at 9am every morning and we would go to at least 6pm every night. Tom has a very fast paced curriculum and we didn't waste any time getting started. Being one of 3 women in the class I was somewhat intimidated at first. Although I'm used to being the only female in most of the classes I've taken.....this class was a whole different playing field! The knowledge of the other students in the class was amazing, and very impressive. Most all had their own Training Business of some sort, Military, or were LE. We were all very supportive of each other and we had one goal in mind--We ALL wanted to become better Instructors and help our students in the best way that we can.
For the most part we can say that half our days were spent in the classroom and the rest on the range working extensively on various shooting drills. We emphasized on defensive gun techniques as well as learning why those techniques were in important in the real world...amongst a million other things. Overall I can say that I learned way more that I had ever thought and it has really changed my outlook on the things that I need to teach my students in the future as well as what I need to do to help keep myself and my family safer.
I feel that I accomplished a lot and can honestly say that the class is well worth the time and money. I look forward to taking Tom's classes again and highly recommend them to anyone who is serious about being a better more confident Instructor!

PS......my qualifications scores..........you shoot the FBI and Rangemaster qual 2x each and take the highest score. Highest score on FBI is 100%---which I got both times I shot it. Highest score on Rangemaster qual is 250---I scored to 242 the first time and 248 (barely had one out of the box..but still a miss) the second time. Written test is pretty hard and I got a 94.1%. I'm very proud of my performance over the weekend and we had a exceptional group of students who all did very well!!

If you ever have a chance to take a Givens class.............all I can say is DO IT!!

~Jamie Meyer

Latest posts