Those who throw sticks

localangler

Well-Known Fanatic
Are there any archery guys on this board. I was just given a compound bow to try the sport and get ready for next deer season. It will be here before you know it. I was just curious if anybody was into it so I could ask stupid questions. I'm sure I will have a lot of them and the person who gave me the bow is a novice also so they aren't that much help.

Kazhrei

Well-Known Fanatic
I've always wanted to give it a try, but I guess I'm old school or something... I've always wanted to start with a regular bow: no compounding or anything. Just a regular longbow, or a recurve.

localangler

Well-Known Fanatic
I looked at the recurve but I hunt from a treestand a lot and just couldn't see myself being able to handle a recurve and not fall out of the tree or make to much noise. Now to find some extra money to start a new hobby. Hopefully, another hobby related to hunting and shooting won't require a divorce lawyer.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
If you ever get a chance to watch "Ted Nugent's Spirit of the Wild" show, it is pretty helpful pertaining to bow hunting. I myself gave up compound bow use, it just doesn't feel right for me. My Bear recurve suits me just fine!

Uncle Ted and company usually go with baiting and blind work. In fact, most other hunting shows usually show blind work. Tree stands can be tricky work, especially trying to find the right location for good shot opportunities. Unless I am in a plane though, altitude is NOT for me- just say NO to tree stands!

Kazhrei

Well-Known Fanatic
Midnight Raver said:
If you ever get a chance to watch "Ted Nugent's Spirit of the Wild" show, it is pretty helpful pertaining to bow hunting. I myself gave up compound bow use, it just doesn't feel right for me. My Bear recurve suits me just fine!

Uncle Ted and company usually go with baiting and blind work. In fact, most other hunting shows usually show blind work. Tree stands can be tricky work, especially trying to find the right location for good shot opportunities. Unless I am in a plane though, altitude is NOT for me- just say NO to tree stands!

Bumbles prefer the ground do they? :D

localangler

Well-Known Fanatic
What channel is Ted's show on? I doubt I get it. I'm not opposed to hunting on the ground but I also like to climb trees but I have had an improperly secured tree stand decide to return to earth with me in it. If your around Mt Pleasant there is a new shop that has a 20 yard range, $5 for all day use. Bow hunting looks like it will be fun but challenging b/c now I have to start wearing camo again and trying to get close to them. I've also acquired a black powder rifle so I can do more hunts on some of the govt woods that is only open to primative weapons. I've been slow to learn there are some nice deer on these pieces of land in SC.

Kazhrei

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, when I was setting up my cable I was like "so what do I need to get the outdoor channel?"

The guy on the phone didn't know what I was talking about. "I have the sportsman channel..is that it?"

So I get it all setup, and there's a specific package I have to get just for the outdoor channel. I was like "...yep, I got jipped". I have like 300 damn channels, and I can't get the outdoor without paying even MORE than I do now?!

Latest posts