the term "ethical politician" is becoming an Oxymoron......

RK3369

Well-Known Fanatic
House Speaker Bobby Harrell suspends himself from leadership post and office

Schuyler Kropf

Schuyler Kropf ? Email ? @skropf47

Sep 11 2014 10:34 am ? Sep 11 3:22 pm

Bobby Harrell, R-Charlescton, is suspending himself from his post as Speaker of the House following his indictment on multiple charges in a corruption probe. (File/Richard Shiro/AP)
Bobby Harrell, R-Charlescton, is suspending himself from his post as Speaker of the House following his indictment on multiple charges in a corruption probe. (File/Richard Shiro/AP)

House Speaker Bobby Harrell has suspended himself as Speaker of the House of Representatives - and from his office - to address the nine ethics and misconduct charges filed against him this week.

The suspension means that House Speaker Pro Tempore Jay Lucas, R-Hartsville, steps into the acting leadership post.

PDF Speaker Harrell letter

Related Stories

House Speaker Bobby Harrell indicted on nine counts in corruption probe
Choice of Pascoe for prosecutor in House Speaker Bobby Harrell probe is well received
S.C. House Speaker Bobby Harrell announces grand jury probe has ended
S.C. Supreme Court rules in favor of Attorney General Alan Wilson in Bobby Harrell dispute
State Supreme Court rules Harrell investigation can continue; Wilson asks for closed-door document review
Harrell has not resigned.

"In light of recent events this letter serves as my suspension from the South Carolina House of Representatives pursuant to 8-13-560 of the South Carolina Code effective immediately," Harrell wrote in a letter to House Clerk Charles Reid.

"I am proactively taking this step because I believe it is the right decision for the South Carolina House of Representatives, its members and the people we represent," he added.

An opinion from the attorney general's office requested by two Democrats from Columbia, Reps. Todd Rutherford, the House minority leader, and James Smith, said that Harrell cannot suspend himself because then he could reinstate himself as well. Opinions from the attorney general's office are not binding and are not seen as official directives.

Smith said he was assured that Lucas had signed the appropriate paperwork to suspend Harrell. Lucas could not be reached for comment.

It was not immediately clear how active a campaigner he would be in defending his House District 114 seat, West Ashley. He faces Democrat Mary Tinkler.

Harrell's situation has also prompted Democrats to up their commitment to the 114 race after Harrell started the election season as a heavy favorite.

"The events surrounding Representative Harrell's indictment and suspension has put this district in play and we intend to devote all available resources to make sure Mary Tinkler is the next representative from District 114," said House Democratic Caucus spokesman Tyler Jones.

Harrell is accused of a string of misdemeanor violations of state law, including charges that he doctored his personal airplane flight records, reimbursed himself for flights that he didn't take and unlawfully paid himself tens of thousands of dollars from his campaign account.

The charges were filed by 1st Circuit Solicitor David Pascoe, who inherited the Harrell case just weeks ago from S.C. Attorney General Alan Wilson.

In all, they cover seven Ethics Act violations for using campaign funds for personal expenses, while two additional charges cover allegations of misconduct in office.

All of the charges against Harrell are considered misdemeanors, but one misconduct in office charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in state prison. If convicted on all counts, the Charleston Republican faces a maximum sentence of 18 years in prison and close to $40,000 in fines.

Harrell said earlier in a statement saying he "never intentionally violated any law, and I still strongly believe that statement to be accurate."

Harrell has been speaker since 2005. Gov. Nikki Haley joined the list of those calling on Harrell to step down.

State law calls on Harrell to suspend himself because he has been indicted for a crime that carries a more than two-year sentence.

While the Legislature is not in session, Lucas said he would perform any duties of the House speaker until a new speaker can be chosen in November

WoodLark

Fanatic
"Ethical" has not applied to any politician since the time of the Egyptian Pharoahs (and probably earlier)!

RK3369

Well-Known Fanatic
WoodLark said:
"Ethical" has not applied to any politician since the time of the Egyptian Pharoahs (and probably earlier)!

They didn't have to be "ethical", they were monarchs. Could do whatever they wanted for whatever reason, or even for no reason at all.

However, I agree with you, the phrase "ethical politician" is a dinousaur of literacy. There ain't no such animal any more.

WoodLark

Fanatic
I was referring to the times of the Pharaohs, not necessarily to the Pharaohs themselves. They had "advisers". My point was that "ethical politician" has ALWAYS been an oxymoron. :shock: