The H&K VP70...

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
For all of you Glock fans out there, here is their Grandpappy...

The Heckler & Koch VP70!

civieec7.jpg

The VP70 was the first polymer frame pistol made. Design started in 1968, with production beginning in 1970. It was chambered in 9mm x 19, with some 400 examples released in 9mm x 21. Production ended in 1989.

vp70v1cz8.jpg

Original version

Definitely ahead of its time, it had an 18 round magazine capacity- all internal. The military and police versions had another unique feature available:

vp70stockwd0.jpg

A polymer shoulder stock/holster was able to be fitted as well. With this attached, the VP70 was able to utilize a selective fire switch.- either semiauto or 3 shot burst mode to choose from. In this fashion with its magazine capacity, the operator could get off 6 3 shot bursts. Certainly valuable in close quarter situations indeed!

vp70selector1tz4.jpg

vp70selector2kr7.jpg

Close up view of selector switch
and selector engagement links

vp70holsterdt6.jpg

VP70 in stock/holster. it also had a belt attachment clip
that fit in a channel on either side of the stock

Another unique feature was the front sight. It was a ramp of polished steel with a notch cut into it, giving the visual appearance of a regular front blade sight while aiming it.

vp70sightfx7.jpg

Above view of front sight

Although not a generally known or majorly popular firearm, it certainly had a special niche in history- paving the way for newer and better polymer component weaponry. The VP70 is still out there though, you never know when you might come across one!

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
A guy Pops knew had one of these.
He liked it because of the magazine capacity back before the advent of high capacity wonder nines.

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
the handle looks a little skinny.
It would be like chokin' a small bird with a long skinny neck.

:shock:

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Actually it is deceptive- the grip is wider than visible due to the 18 round double stack magazine. The grip fills my medium sized hands quite a bit. I had the chance to use a full scale airsoft replica with the shoulder stock as well. While not a firearm, the gas powered replica gave you an idea of what firing in 3 shot burst mode might be like too. It is pretty wild having the slide of a pistol operate that fast, even when only firing 6mm plastic BBs. Firing a real one with 9mm that way must really rock!

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
Around where I live there are several handgun ranges who rent guns. You don't need anythig in particular, just a good ID like a drivers license.
most of them want you to watch a safety video the first time you come in, but after that you get a card to skip that part.

One place I go will rent any of about 50 or so different hand guns for $5. The range fees are about $15 per hour and teh ammo is in the normal $20 per box of 50 9mm
sometimes cheaper.

You may find one similar near you who has one of these on the rental rack.

armedpig

Well-Known Fanatic
Pops said:
Around where I live there are several handgun ranges who rent guns. You don't need anythig in particular, just a good ID like a drivers license.
most of them want you to watch a safety video the first time you come in, but after that you get a card to skip that part.

One place I go will rent any of about 50 or so different hand guns for $5. The range fees are about $15 per hour and teh ammo is in the normal $20 per box of 50 9mm
sometimes cheaper.

You may find one similar near you who has one of these on the rental rack.

Shooters Express?

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been to shooters express, but I usually go to Firepower in Matthews. They have a little more relaxed atmosphere.
I've bought guns from both, even Hiatt Gunshop.

I think the prices are a little better at Firepower.

;)

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I found an H&K at the Gun Hhow this weekend. You're right it is a handful.
I picked it up, but since it was wired to the table I could only get a grip on it without asking the sell to unhook everything..
The grip looks a little small in the photo, but the trigger is positioned such that is actually fits my hand pretty good.
It's kind of heavy, meaning solidly. I'd like to shoot one sometime.

Pops

Latest posts