The Best1911 Extractor

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Wilson Combat bulletproof, or EGW and I prefer the regular item (forget their name for it) not the HD issue or the round stem one that DW uses. I've used a lot of the mentioned ones, even the EGW models I didn't care for worked well , as do the WC extractors. Set deflection and then tension and its gtg.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Had great luck with Colt 1911 parts.
So many Military parts for the 1911, I've not had any reason to buy other brands.

Have you had bad luck with using Colt parts? I have not as of today.
The extractors I used were all were Mil spec & worked out just fine, only 2 I have used
out of many many years of shooting & fixing 1911s

Are Colt parts available today?

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Mike, Ive had good luck with Colt parts and Colt pistols. I used to buy all the parts I could from Colts, I believe they quit selling thru Colt store on interweb several years ago. Glad I have a stash of often needed parts.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Just for the info, on my last build I used one of the round EGW extractors and it works great.

Here is a link to the build thread for anyone interested in the journey to a shop built Commander.

Cardplayer64

Fanatic
"Cylinder and Slide's" Ultimate Extractor" . Made from spring steel, properly contoured hook and wall ramp, and lasts twice as long according to their listing than all the others on the market.Their spring steel metallurgy is unique to all the others on the market. $35

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
"Cylinder and Slide's" Ultimate Extractor" . Made from spring steel, properly contoured hook and wall ramp, and lasts twice as long according to their listing than all the others on the market.Their spring steel metallurgy is unique to all the others on the market. $35
Great recommendation. I have 2 of these in 1911's with thousands of rounds without ever breaking one.

Cardplayer64

Fanatic
Also. The guru gunsmith froms Alchemy Wesite advices you when tensioning a "regular" extractor to first slightly overtension, then after returning it back to proper tension it will hold its tension a lot longer...That ought tell you right there the metalurgy on those extractors ain't in it for the long haul.