Test Range at the Gunsmith School

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
I know this could possibly belong in the General section with the other shooting range threads, but it is specific to the gunsmith school I went to last weekend and I thought you fellas might enjoy seeing a picture or two of the test range that is on campus, just about 60-75 yards downhill from the classrooms.

It's a nice 100-yd range and they are doubling its width if the rain ever stops long enough to finish clearing and grading the land.

I learned a lot about the school - Montgomery Community College. The two-year gunsmith program is the largest program at the school, both by revenue and by student count. The school is 50 years old and the gunsmithing program is 47 years old.

They have a lot of equipment. Rooms full of lathes, mills, finishing booths, heat treating ovens, etc. And lots of rooms for bench metal work. Equipment doesn't necessarily lead to a good program, but it's a good sign.

I took a 2-day reloading program - mainly as a way to check out the facility and faculty before getting into the longer classes. I really liked it.

Annie and I will be attending a 5-day basic gunsmithing class together in April, then I will go back for two more 4-day to 5-day classes in May.

I'll be attending a few at the Oklahoma school in June. I'm just taking beginner/basic/intro-type classes, but there are numerous classes for more advanced gun enthusiasts.
90506e724180866d03ed9a48d16b90da.jpg
38dcfa8f3f1a5112be3f8c29685eb289.jpg
800cd5fb1c6577e0df3ab15ab7932ac2.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Thats a really nice range.

I would like to attend a 1911 build class. But I'm also trying to balance my funds between 1911 builds, tools, shooting and shooting classes. So many things to do and so little time.

rmw66

New Fanatic
I know this could possibly belong in the General section with the other shooting range threads, but it is specific to the gunsmith school I went to last weekend and I thought you fellas might enjoy seeing a picture or two of the test range that is on campus, just about 60-75 yards downhill from the classrooms.

It's a nice 100-yd range and they are doubling its width if the rain ever stops long enough to finish clearing and grading the land.

I learned a lot about the school - Montgomery Community College. The two-year gunsmith program is the largest program at the school, both by revenue and by student count. The school is 50 years old and the gunsmithing program is 47 years old.

They have a lot of equipment. Rooms full of lathes, mills, finishing booths, heat treating ovens, etc. And lots of rooms for bench metal work. Equipment doesn't necessarily lead to a good program, but it's a good sign.

I took a 2-day reloading program - mainly as a way to check out the facility and faculty before getting into the longer classes. I really liked it.

Annie and I will be attending a 5-day basic gunsmithing class together in April, then I will go back for two more 4-day to 5-day classes in May.

I'll be attending a few at the Oklahoma school in June. I'm just taking beginner/basic/intro-type classes, but there are numerous classes for more advanced gun enthusiasts.
90506e724180866d03ed9a48d16b90da.jpg
38dcfa8f3f1a5112be3f8c29685eb289.jpg
800cd5fb1c6577e0df3ab15ab7932ac2.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Nice post , I went to Lassen in Ca back in the 80's and the facility's were always lacking . But it's CA and the gunsmithing program was always treated like the ugly redheaded step child

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice post , I went to Lassen in Ca back in the 80's and the facility's were always lacking . But it's CA and the gunsmithing program was always treated like the ugly redheaded step child
I attended several classes at Murray State College in Tishomingo, OK this past summer. The gunsmithing program there is also something of a b@stard stepchild. The college president is anti-gun but in OK has to more or less tolerate the program. It's a great program, but suffers from a low budget and lack of support from the school. It's too bad, really. It's a good program and I really enjoyed the classes I took.

I took a two-week 1911 build class taught by a Lassen grad who attended back in the '80s (I think.) A guy named Rick Kennedy. He runs a shop and range in New Mexico. Great guy. I really enjoyed studying under him.

rmw66

New Fanatic
I actually know Rick , he was going through the gunsmithing program when I was working at PISCO for Bob Dunlap back in the late 80's .
Rick told me he also teaches the 1911 build class at Lassen but the CA laws make it a PIA , he's one of the few guys I know that's still doing it for a living
It's too bad CA is a gorgeous state. I miss the mountains.
When I went there the gunsmithing students were treated like 2nd class citizens I can only imagine what it's like now

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
Rick talked a lot about how to run a successful gunsmith business over the two weeks. He seems to like it and was very enthusiastic. He also seems to know how to make money at it. I hope I have the chance to take classes from him again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk