Tell me about .222 Remington

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I am soon inheriting a rifle chambered in .222 Rem, along with dies and such. I know 2 things about this cartridge:

1. It used to be the king of benchrest competition until 6mm PPC happened

2. It used to be king mid-range varmint cartridge until .223 Rem happened.

Anything else I should know? Can I take deer-sized game with it humanely if I use a soft-point bullet?

dennishoddy

My uncle had one many years ago that I shot. It was amazingly accurate with factory ammo.
Finding ammo may be a problem, but since you will get dies as well, finding brass will be your only issue. Starline, or Norma can probably help with the brass.
As .22 caliber is the smallest diameter the ODW allows for deer hunting, the caliber is legal. 55 grain soft point or hollow point is the minimum weight bullet in OK. That will still get 3100fps.
I've killed over a dozen deer with a .223, and never had to track one more than 40 yards. Good performing bullet for that velocity, and good placement is the key. I will say I've passed on a marginal shot with the .223 that I would have taken with confidence using my 30.06.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a 222 Rem for awhile, shot many song dogs with that little guy! as for accuracy all I can say is mine was damn accurate, velocity wise not too far behind the 223 BUT it's gonna be slower and you can't push it to match. The longer case neck makes it great to reload and like most of the really accurate rounds they tend to have longer necks as they are built for accuracy not speed.

Mind me asking what rifle it is you'll be getting? Savage 340 or Remington 788 just happen to be near and dear to my heart. Looking forward to seeing some pics. Later,

Kirk

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Only picture I have:

Rb9Uk.jpg

It's at my parents' house and my dad took that picture. All I know is it has a Leupold scope and it's chambered in 222.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Steyr rifle maybe? looks like it but I could be totally wrong. Damn sexy little rifle that's for sure. Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Coyote, ya know how they sound like they are singing when they get together and howl and yelp? prairie dogs are pasture maggots and can be used for sheep also, Guinea pigs are just kind cute don't think I could shoot one and a Russian dwarf hamster I don't have much information about these. It's just a small town America saying LOL Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Guinea pig? I could shoot one in a heartbeat.
My kids had a couple of them. They didn't latch the lid down after a feeding, and they got out. One got into the dishwasher wiring, and chewed it beyond recognition.
The other made it outside somehow, and chewed the phone wiring coming into the house.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Coyote, ya know how they sound like they are singing when they get together and howl and yelp? prairie dogs are pasture maggots and can be used for sheep also, Guinea pigs are just kind cute don't think I could shoot one and a Russian dwarf hamster I don't have much information about these. It's just a small town America saying LOL Later,

Kirk

Gotcha.

Sundance74

Well-Known Fanatic
You can't beat that Steyr in triple deuce for a walking varmit rifle or light deer gun. The "Deuce" will throw a 40gr bullet as fast as a 55gr 22-250 with a LOT less noise and recoil. It's not an '06, so don't try to make it do things it can't. But, if you want to pop a yote or a doe in the ear at 200 or 300yds it should do it better than most.

Sundance74

Well-Known Fanatic
Be careful with your magazine!! They are usually anywhere from 50 to over a 100 if you can find one. Steyr will make a small run once a year or so but it's never a given and no guarantees on delivery times.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Steyr rifle maybe? looks like it but I could be totally wrong. Damn sexy little rifle that's for sure. Later,

Kirk

I just got home and it was on my bed. It is indeed a Steyr.

Be careful with your magazine!! They are usually anywhere from 50 to over a 100 if you can find one. Steyr will make a small run once a year or so but it's never a given and no guarantees on delivery times.

It has no magazine in it :(

I got another big pile of hunting and reloading gear. Maybe the magazine is in there someplace.

been

Well-Known Fanatic
Its a beautiful rifle! I love the mannlicher stocks! Do you know what model it is?

Okie4570

Fanatic
Very nice looking Steyr. I've got my dad's inherited Rem M722 in .222 with a 25" barrel, circa 195?, can't remember the year off hand. Sweet shooter, no recoil, has taken many deer with 60gr Nosler partitions. It's hard to find factory 55gr for deer. You will enjoy.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Its a beautiful rifle! I love the mannlicher stocks! Do you know what model it is?

It's a SL model.

Also I found the magazine in the reloading pile. Good thing, too. I tried to source one earlier and it's not easy to find.

Latest posts