Stupid Question

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Do Weaver-Style bases work on picatinny rails? Or do I need to specifically find a picatinny base for my picatinny rail?

Thanks,

Medicius

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
I tink you mean Wever style rings on a Picatinny base, and yes it does work, but Picatinny rings usually don't fit Weaver bases unless you do a little file work to the "grove" for the cross bolt.

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not really sure what I meant. Just that an optic I was looking at said it fit Weaver but my handgun has a picatinny. So I assume you're correct about my original question :) And thank you for the information. I'm glad the weaver rings will work with the picatinny base.

Medicius

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Base - what mounts to the rifle

Rings - what attaches the scope to the base - named for the "ring" that clamps around the body of the optic

Some examples of different kinds of Base / Ring combinations.

Standard or dovetail:
Weaver_Dovetail_Bases_Scope_Rings_Remington_700_la.jpg

Weaver:
M900777-781-weaver-scope-base-and-rings.jpg

Picatinny:
sssfv3.jpg

As you can see, the Weaver and Picatinny systems are very similar. In a true Picatinny rail, the grooves are the same size and spacing. The Weaver is not the same spacing. The grooves are also slightly smaller for the Weaver base, which means - as KurtM said - that you can mount Weaver rings to a Picatinny base, but the other way around could require modification to the base.

There are also scope mounts, where the two above parts are one piece:
Integrated-Scope-Mount-System-MID-123187-m.jpg

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you Brent. Until you wrote what the difference was between the weaver and picatinny spacing, I was looking at the ring clamps to see if the cut outs were different in some fashion. Then after reading about the spacing on the weaver I saw the two larger non-lined sections. It really does make sense about the weaver mounting to the picatinny but not the other way around.

I'm still looking for a decent but sub-$100 red dot or 1x scope for my Ruger. Having the above explained in more detail really helps, so again, thank you.

Medicius

dennishoddy

I put the Bushnell Trophy on my Ruger Mark III Hunter three years ago. Sighted it in a 25 yds for steel challenge, and fun matches.
I've never had to re-adjust the zero from day one. Its red or green, and you have a choice of 4 reticles.
I mounted mine as far forward as possible to help with what little mz flip one can get.

Its less than $100

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad it was of some benefit. I know it took me some time to get the terms down.

The spacing is not the only difference. It's hard to see in a picture, but the groove size (slot) is actually slightly larger on a picatinny rail; therefore Weaver accesories will mount to a picatinny rail, but not the other way around without opening the grooves up.

Thank you Brent. Until you wrote what the difference was between the weaver and picatinny spacing, I was looking at the ring clamps to see if the cut outs were different in some fashion. Then after reading about the spacing on the weaver I saw the two larger non-lined sections. It really does make sense about the weaver mounting to the picatinny but not the other way around.

I'm still looking for a decent but sub-$100 red dot or 1x scope for my Ruger. Having the above explained in more detail really helps, so again, thank you.

Medicius

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Brent,

I think I read somewhere about someone having to "file-to-fit". That makes a little more sense now. It is a huge benefit. I can't describe how dejected I'd have felt trying to put the round peg in the square hole. Getting knowledge about the little things really helps. I appreciate that you and others are so willing to share what you've learned in non-demeaning fashion.

Dennis,

Thanks, I'll head over to opticsplanet or whatever and take a look at it.

Medicius

dennishoddy

To each their own, but I think its a waste of money.
Half the fun of getting a new gun, new optics is getting out to the range, and shooting the thing to find out where it actually shoots, and then correcting it.

There was a video floating around that showed a guy that forgot to take one of those out of his center fire rifle, and put a live round in.

Pretty ugly.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Now where the heck would you have read about filing the groves to get it to fit???? I never heard about such a thing! Except in my original post that is.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Ok, I'll take a look there too.

Side question: This seems like a really cheap price. Any thoughts on whether or not it would be a cheap option to let me install new sights in my basement?

http://www.opticspla...er-740001c.html

Medicius

That's just going to show you where a stright line from you're bore axis points to.
You use that to line up your sights/optics before live fire & your point of impact will be much closer to the point of aim than if you just slapped them on & started from scratch. You'll still have to dial it in, just not near as much.

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Now where the heck would you have read about filing the groves to get it to fit? ??? I never heard about such a thing! Except in my original post that is.

*forehead slap*

Sorry Kurt. I've been reading so many posts in such a short period of time that I'm losing track. It's like when I'm reading 2 or 3 books in the same 3 day time span. I start to get story arcs, locales, and the protagonist/antagonist mixed up.

Randy/Wall, thank you for the feedback.

Medicius

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
To each their own, but I think its a waste of money.
Half the fun of getting a new gun, new optics is getting out to the range, and shooting the thing to find out where it actually shoots, and then correcting it.

There was a video floating around that showed a guy that forgot to take one of those out of his center fire rifle, and put a live round in.

Pretty ugly.

What he said.

AR's are easy to get a rough boresight anyways.

Mount scope, remove upper, place on bags / rest, look through barrel, point roughly at center of target, then adjust crosshairs to center of target. Just be careful not to bump the gun while adjusting the scope.

While I agree with Dennis, it can be frustrating if your scope is far enough off not to be on paper. If you're already on paper, then it's like he said.

Latest posts