Stuck Shooting Outside This Winter

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
My typical shooting year is outdoors for the spring, summer and fall. I typically concentrate on shooting drills from the holster with three IDPA target stands.

During the winter myself and another gentleman open up our private clubs indoor range one day a week for open shooting. During the winter I concentrate on 50' old school bullseye with a .22 and a .45.

This winter the club's board has closed the indoor range to open shooting due to Covid. So this winter I will be stuck with the outdoor ranges that I belong to. So it will be paper punching using their permanent backers instead of hauling out my target stands in the snow. Not really looking forward to it so much. When I was younger, I used to shoot outside, no matter the weather. Have been out in -25 windchill. Not so much anymore.

Had kind of planned going out today but there is snow on the ground and it is 25 degrees out. Doubt I'll go. Think I'll just do my three mile walk and go down in the reloading room.

What are your winter shooting plans, any changes from the norm? Especially with the ammo shortages there could be a lot of changes for many.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
where in Mi. are you ?
I'm in Oakland co., and my club / ranges are closed too..even the outdoor.
Spending more time @ the reloading bench, & in the garage, running dirty brass thru the cleaning media.

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm over on the south west side. Don't think I've ever gone this far into the winter without running my snowblower but know it is certainly coming soon. I was at my main outdoor range last week, rather cool but pleasant. All three of the outdoor ranges that I belong to are open, one has a no guest rule in effect.

hendershot

Well-Known Fanatic
Guess I'm still young enough to enjoy and embrace shooting in the snow or cold.
After a fresh snow, there is a feeling of tranquility out there. Just so peaceful, calm, and refreshing (as long as the vegetation can block the wind!)

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
my club, OCSC, is a private (member) club, but members can bring guests to use the range.
They are responsible for their guests behavior. We don't have range officers .. we have some, but they're only required for organized shoots.
As the outdoor range is not directly supervised, someone ( club board ?) decided no one was able to monitor the outdoor range, so it was closed.
I'm curious about the number of members that will not renew their membership, as a result of having paid for range use, by joining, and the fact that ranges have been closed due to the clubs interpretation of govt. mandates.

should have added that every other shooting position , benches or tables had been closed off, to provide distance between shooters. they still closed the range.

Last edited:

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a member of indoor and outdoor ranges . Cold here right now , so I'll shoot indoors . Outdoor range has ranges out to 1200 yards and pistol ranges out to 50 yards , also a variety of plates , dueling tree , and Texas star . Fun in good weather .

Ohrings

Fanatic
My typical shooting year is outdoors for the spring, summer and fall. I typically concentrate on shooting drills from the holster with three IDPA target stands.

During the winter myself and another gentleman open up our private clubs indoor range one day a week for open shooting. During the winter I concentrate on 50' old school bullseye with a .22 and a .45.

This winter the club's board has closed the indoor range to open shooting due to Covid. So this winter I will be stuck with the outdoor ranges that I belong to. So it will be paper punching using their permanent backers instead of hauling out my target stands in the snow. Not really looking forward to it so much. When I was younger, I used to shoot outside, no matter the weather. Have been out in -25 windchill. Not so much anymore.

Had kind of planned going out today but there is snow on the ground and it is 25 degrees out. Doubt I'll go. Think I'll just do my three mile walk and go down in the reloading room.

What are your winter shooting plans, any changes from the norm? Especially with the ammo shortages there could be a lot of changes for many.
Oakland Country Sportman's Club in Clarkston is open for up to 8 shooters. If you are not a member, ask around for someone to take you in. Also, PPC is now on Monday mornings and you do not have to be a member if I am correct, just as our IDPA

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
hey, Ohrings.. Good to see you posting here. I just found out yesterday that OCSC re-opened, about a week ago ..guess I should have checked their website.
I'm looking forward to visiting the indoor range soon.

Ohrings

Fanatic
Here is an email that came in today with more information. Just had a complete shoulder replacement on my primary side. No shooting for another 3-6 months. Tried a .22 pistol yesterday. 50 rounds and it was home for some legal pain killers. Do not know if I will SO for spring IDPA. You have a good time!

Email from IDPA match director
Under the new orders we are able to start the OSCS IDPA indoor practices starting Saturday December 26th. If anyone got some new presents you can bring them out and give them a try. With the new orders we are allowed 20 shooters on the range and 28 in the ready room. We will run to squads like before but masks must be worn at all times. We will also have to keep 6 feet apart and no food or beverage allowed indoor because masks have to been worn at all times. All shooters will have to sign in with their printed name, phone number, and times in/out. Setup starts at 8am with shooting from 8:30 to 11am. Cost is $5 for members and $10 for non-members. Please let me know if anyone can help SO the practices.

Merry Christmas and happy Holidays.

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
Our outdoor club is open year-round and only the strong or weak-minded shoot in the winter, lol.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I love shooting outdoors. The inside gun ranges are always hot and many lack good ventilation

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Here in the Mountains our indoor & outdoor ranges are open, but due to ammo shortages they are not being used as much.
We have a 25 & 50 yard pistol range with 4 now 4 more soon Short ranges 7, 15, & 21 feet long.
On RSO day I bring out 2 or 3 1911s with 50 rounds each a Ruger MK! & MKII pistols with a box of Federal Target grade performance 325 round box.

I go out once a month & shoot as much as I can because if 3 Non-RSOs come out I must cease fire.
Some times I get to shoot then there are times I must RSO only. Sure is lonely work these days as people are scared to shoot even there .22s

The ARPC went to Court to get our Ranges open as an essential bizness & now we have an Ammunition crisis :eek: Well I hope things get better soon.

Good luck everyone we must stay sharp & tell others when we see ammo for sale.

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
A Province wide covid lockdown has closed my club since December 23rd with no end in sight. I live in the suburbs, no chance of shooting anywhere for me. For those who can shoot, consider yourselves lucky.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
If your close to the Toledo Oh area, there are some great indoor ranges and they're open in Ohio! I'm not sure how much they'll let you practice draws and drills but there's a few and they are well ventilated, lighted with nice state of the art targets at a couple. I belong to a large outdoor range and shoot there almost exclusively but will hit one of the indoor ranges with the wife (she doesn't like outdoor ranges) or my son on really crappy weather days!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Been to our indoor range a few times since my last post, going after 9 or 10pm, we've had the range to ourselves.
The price & scarcity of ammo might have something top do with that.
Took a friend with me, a few times, having someone there with me keeps me from talking to myself.
The price & scarcity of ammo might have something top do with the fact the range has been empty.
Went one morning, shot for 1.5 hrs., a guy came in as I was leaving.

Been trying to work my way through shooting all the pistols in my little collection, some have been neglected, staying in their safe place
for too long w/o getting any exercise. Working on shooting them all, even the revolvers, a few @ a time.

I've considered taking a few rifles to the outdoor range, but in all honesty, can't see the joy of shooting outdoors when it's so cold outside.
I must be getting old..

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Didn't get to the outdoor range this week but have been pretty regularly. No crowds in the winter but normally one other person either there when I arrive or before I leave. No one stays very long. I normally shoot about 300 rounds a trip in the summer but have been shooting just 100 in the cold.

In my younger days I'd be out when it was a -20 windchill, not anymore.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
It's interesting how things change . When I was a kid, we didnt have any indoor ranges . I'd jump at any chance to shoot outside no matter how cold . But I don't get along with the cold nowadays .

Look at the bright side, we are observing ammo :(

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We shoot weekly and still have matches monthly shooting is down yes but for those of us that saw this in Feb-March and planned for it not to bad just more 22rf shot, oddly last Sat match much more centerfire was shot than in several months seen I also shoot at home and did so yesterday when the cows moved off to eat. Need another range trip soon to get a good zero other than hand held on a PCC for next match, our match turn out is down about 30%, another thing noticed at the match was all the brass left and lack of reloaders, a gold mine for us. We have started shooting 22rf in our matches with the ammo shortages. A small group of us got together early last year and stocked up well. A good friend is even thinking of selling some primers to fund a new Wilson 1911 45. He would never even miss them. After the Obammma mess the handwriting was very plain what was coming.

Last edited:

Latest posts