Stoeger semi auto shotguns

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
anyone have any experience with these? from what i've read they use benellis inertia system but are about a third of the price of an M1. whats the deal? why arent more people shooting stoegers? Or are they and i just dont know about it?

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
I have one and it's pretty dang fast I havnt shot very many different loads through it just mostly bird shot but no problems ever . I plan on using it for 3G comps to put it to the test.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
ive seen used ones for as little as $300. just doesnt seem to make sense to buy a benelli when you can get a stoeger with the same action for so cheap! let me know how it works this year in 3 gun. i'm very interested...

same action? How does that equate a benelli and a stoeger? It doesnt.

a High point and a MK19 grenade launcher uses the same action. Simple blowback. Why use a grenade launcher when you can use a high point 380?

A NEF single shot uses the same action as a holland and holland $35k double rifle. (actually lack of action)

a 1911 and a luger uses the same action.

In short, yes, the benelli uses inertia recoil action to auto load, but unlike Wendy's said, "Parts is not parts"

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Buddy of mine has a Stoeger, he got it cause it's "just like the Benelli" he hates it, it doesn't run.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
same action? How does that equate a benelli and a stoeger? It doesnt.

a High point and a MK19 grenade launcher uses the same action. Simple blowback. Why use a grenade launcher when you can use a high point 380?

A NEF single shot uses the same action as a holland and holland $35k double rifle. (actually lack of action)

a 1911 and a luger uses the same action.

In short, yes, the benelli uses inertia recoil action to auto load, but unlike Wendy's said, "Parts is not parts"

well mike, while i appreciate your many highly insighful and thoroughly useless and condesending examples, are high point and the MK grenade launcher similar weapons? are they owned by the same company? i think not.

all i wanted to know was if a stoeger was good to go or not. thanks for the help.

anyone out there actually have something helpful to add to this discusion?

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
It was good information he gave you believe it or not.

I bought a CZ and let me tell you I did some work! nothing stupid but when you have a shotgun say cost $1K they spend more time on de-burr, fit, just some things you don't get on a $500 shotgun, I didn't mind the work as I enjoy doing it and I get to figure out how the things works and goes together. Is anyone saying it WON'T work? don't think so but be ready to put some elbow grease into it and then it may or may not work! question you have to ask yourself is do you have the change to drop on a $300 shotgun and IF it doesn't work throw out another $500-$700 on something that does work? OR would it be just as easy to spend the money once and have something that runs?

The CZ is a very viable option and believe it or not there is a little behind the sceens work going on but can't say for sure anything will come from it.

So ask yourself do you want to spend a little and hope it works or suck it up and drop some cash on something that has been working? it's up to you in the end. Later,

Kirk

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
It was good information he gave you believe it or not.

I bought a CZ and let me tell you I did some work! nothing stupid but when you have a shotgun say cost $1K they spend more time on de-burr, fit, just some things you don't get on a $500 shotgun, I didn't mind the work as I enjoy doing it and I get to figure out how the things works and goes together. Is anyone saying it WON'T work? don't think so but be ready to put some elbow grease into it and then it may or may not work! question you have to ask yourself is do you have the change to drop on a $300 shotgun and IF it doesn't work throw out another $500-$700 on something that does work? OR would it be just as easy to spend the money once and have something that runs?

The CZ is a very viable option and believe it or not there is a little behind the sceens work going on but can't say for sure anything will come from it.

So ask yourself do you want to spend a little and hope it works or suck it up and drop some cash on something that has been working? it's up to you in the end. Later,

Kirk

Mikes info may have been helpful but i could do without all of the "extra" commentary - "why use a grenade launcher when you can use a high point 380?" i realize that i'm new to this and that i dont know everything. i dont need someone rubbing it in my face. i came here to learn. How else can i do it but ask questions?

your comments on the other hand have helped me. i have a benelli nova and love it. i had planned on looking around for an M1 and i had just heard that stoeger was owned by benelli and noticed that they both use an inertia system instead of a gas system. because of this, i thought they might be similar and just wondered, why the price difference? if you say the fit and finish of a stoeger arent up to par, i understand that. like you, i'd rather pay the extra and get soemthing i know will run. thank you for the help.

whats your opinion on how the CZ compares to an m1?

The Antichrome

I took Mike's comments as good natured ribbing. Then again, knowing Mike, I can 'hear' him saying this.
If I thought his post was mean spirited (to newbs or anyone else) I would remove it.

Now, if the Stoeger was anywhere near on par with the Benelli...everybody would be using it and spending the extra dough on ammo.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
I took Mike's comments as good natured ribbing. Then again, knowing Mike, I can 'hear' him saying this.
If I thought his post was mean spirited (to newbs or anyone else) I would remove it.

Now, if the Stoeger was anywhere near on par with the Benelli...everybody would be using it and spending the extra dough on ammo.

you may very well be right, but i dont know Mike or his sense of humor and i took it differently. i've gone back and read it again to see if i overeacted and i dont see it. i asked a simple questions about two similar firearms that use a very similar action and are owned by the same company and he made it sound like i was comparing a slingshot to a 105mm howitzer. i'm not a sensitive bleeding heart that cant take a joke, i just didnt find it funny. Anyway, it doesnt matter, i dont want to turn this into an episode of jerry springer...

i'd just like some opinions on inertia operated shotguns as i've heard that gas operated ones require alot more maintenance and cleaning. right now a benelli M1 is at the top of my list and i'm just wondering if there is something else out there that i should be looking at.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
With some work the CZ will run with the Benelli but either way both will need some mods. I don't have a Benelli budget so I went with something that I and a couple others thought would be something we could get out there and play. Over on Brian Enos do a search for CZ712 there are several of us out there running them. Since no-one had messed with this shotgun Kurt offered to help me out if I bought the shotgun, well we didn't have to do much but a couple little things which took some time to get figured out but so far I'm over 1K rounds and nothing bad has happened.

Your more than welcome to run some rounds thru it. Later,

Kirk

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
are there many mods avaialble for the CZ? tube extensions, etc? i'm looking for 3 gun shotgun...

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Only mods you'll need to buy would be an LM choke tube and mag extension the other stuff involves beer and a dremel tool LOL

If you say you want one of those big tacticool bolt knobs just let me know I'll give ya a nice kick in the knee as that's the last thing you need ;D Later,

Kirk

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
i'm no gunsmith but the beer and dremel are right up my alley! i dont know about the bolt knob, seems like overkill. the CZ sounds like a good shotgun for the price. thanks for the info.

Fine; Ill not come on here while Im drinking beer,. Thats no fun.

Your use of the word action was incorrect. Action describes the type of way that a semiauto firearm autoloads. In the semi world, its more diverse in saying that there are types of handguns; pistol, revolver, derringer.

Im incorrect on nearly a daily basis, no big deal.

While the particular mechanism of autoloading is of the same type in the stoeger as in the benelli, the parts are not the same; ie "parts are not parts".
The benelli parts are more "robust", and there are particulars of what benelli uses, that arent the same as stoegers. different price points, youre paying for better stuff, more expensive parts.
I dont think Ive ever seen a beat up, used benelli M1 that couldnt be tuned up to run with a brand new M2.

My earlier reply was not mainly for your eyes, I wasnt replying to a personal message, it was a post in a forum, so I snazzed up my reply a bit so that it will catch the eye of others reading it and they can reap some info.

Again, a mk19 greanade launcher and a hi-point use the same type of action. How the power from the explosion of the cartridge is used to move the parts of the gun, in order to eject the spent case and feed the next one out of the magazine is the same.

I said this to demonstrate that the word "action" in the autoloading realm is more generic that it might seem.

The more you know the more you grow!

Chambers

actual GM
Fine; Ill not come on here while Im drinking beer,

Now don't go and do anything drastic...

On the Stoeger thing they do look awfully Benelli like. I'd like to have one to screw around with. Check out this thread (not for his commentary, but for the pics)...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=244200

Looks like a lot of parts would drop right into my M1....

Anyway, they haven't been around long enough, and they're not nearly as common as the Benelli, to have found a spot in competition. They're also made to be cheap so QC and materials aren't going to be in the same ballpark...still could be interesting, but considering you can get the real deal (a used M1) in the $600 range, I don't see the point.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Now don't go and do anything drastic...

On the Stoeger thing they do look awfully Benelli like. I'd like to have one to screw around with. Check out this thread (not for his commentary, but for the pics)...

http://www.shotgunwo...hp?f=7&t=244200

Looks like a lot of parts would drop right into my M1....

Anyway, they haven't been around long enough, and they're not nearly as common as the Benelli, to have found a spot in competition. They're also made to be cheap so QC and materials aren't going to be in the same ballpark...still could be interesting, but considering you can get the real deal (a used M1) in the $600 range, I don't see the point.

ya, i saw a used M1 on gunbroker for $595 just this week.

Latest posts