Stock Guru needed

lafayette gregory

Well-Known Fanatic
Anybody know a good stock repair person? I have an old Mossberg 42 M-B with a cracked stock. This thing is a tack driver and I hate to keep shootin her in that condition. Looks like it could be fixed with some glue injected into the crack and clamped. But I am no pro at that type work.
Or if anyone has a source for a new stock that would be great! I can find plenty of stocks for the mossberg military 44 but not the 42.

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
Old gunsmith told me to do this to prevent it from cracking more. What I do before I coat them with duracoat them is drill at each end of the crack with 1/4" bit all the way through and plug it with a wooden dowel and wood glue. This prevents the crack from spreading further. Chop it off on each side and sand it smooth and coat. I fill the actual crack with wood filler if I cant get it clamped back closed. I dont know how this would look on a varnished stock but anything is better than the crack.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
Quite often they crack because the wood shrinks around the stock bolt and the pressure builds. You may be able to enlarge the hole and then glue and clamp it using Gorilla glue . I've glued shotgun forends with good success. You have to work clean then carefully scrape the excess that foams out of the crack as it dries. Easy to touch up from there.

Bow_breaker

Well-Known Fanatic
More than likely I can fix it. I use Urac-185 for all my high stress wood projects like bows. Let me see pics and i might be able to help.

Gunsmith

New Fanatic
I use Brownell's Acraglas for crack repair. Spread the crack a little and force the epoxy (Acraglas) into the crack with compressed air. Dustoff in a can works fine. Clamp with a piece of surgical rubber tubing. Do NOT use Gorilla Glue. Gorilla Glue absorbs moisture to set. It will expand the crack -- Not good for a gun repair!

Bill Jacobs
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing
Greenwood, SC
[email protected]

Halfcocked

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like you have it in good hands,but here are some of the techniques I use just in case. As Henry mentioned the first thing I do is drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from running any further. I generally only drill a hole a little wider than the crack though, it easier to conceal. Then as Bill mentioned I force some AcraGlass into the crack and support it with brass stock screws if possible. I use painters tape a long the edge of the crack to help with any AcraGlass squeeze out and remove it before it dries completely. You can use surgical tubing if you have it but an old tire tube works just as well. This is an A5 Stock I repaired a couple of months ago using the same method.
0204101841.jpg

DSC07004.jpg

Latest posts