Stick with 590 pumps for first match or get a semi?

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Hoping to do my first 3 gun match in the next couple months. Should I stick with my mossberg 590's and possibly try someone elses build at a shoot before picking up a semi? Will be my only firearm that would not be considered an open class item.

Which brand out of the box will require the least amount of upgrades/maintenance to be a solid option?
Some things i'm thinking about are:
-Least amount of recoil
-Can cycle any ammo
-Easy to upgrade at home (prefer building myself if possible)

Can post pics of what i'm working with if you guys like? Would be good to have someone's input who knows what they're doing in these competitions. 😀

Thanks in advance!

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse's stoeger option is a good buy. I also have a 930 Jm pro for pretty cheap if want to go that route. Sticking with what you have for a match or two while borrowing others shotguns is probably your best bet. Then you'll have good idea as to what you want. However you do it you got options.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
@BrandonM(TWSS) $480 sounds like a smokin' deal. Just bought an optic through Jesse, little low on cash. If you have not sold the shotgun by the 15th of next month i'll gladly take it off your hands. Waiting on someone to pay me as well, if that money comes through i'll PM you with questions on how yo transfer everything.

Jesse's versa is locked and did not see the stoeger. Am familiar with the mossberg's though and for the price seems solid.

We'll see what happens

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, got a 930 for $500 practically brand new Saturday. Some guy needed money and I jumped on it, too bad the range in my parents town was closed.... Put in the Pro Combo from OR3GUN, and opened the loading area. Nothing like working on your own gun.

Questions for the guys that know what you're doing.
- Was looking at Skytac for a welded lifter the guy seems like he does great work. (Any experience?)

- Have been watching a lot of videos on the two up vs single loading. Have been practing the double load (until I get more Dummy rounds) Which caddie do you guys recommend and why? I want to do quad loads with the two up method.

Was looking at picking up a CR speed belt from Tony.

Any and all help or advice is welcome.

Let me know if I missed something on my pics, did not wipe down the shotgun after all of the filing and sandpaper action, looks a little dusty.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 15

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Matt, went with C-Rums had to call up Mossberg to have them ship a carrier to Jeff.
Not sure why it's such a difficult part to get... With the number of people attempting 3 gun you'd
think companies would jump on board with making them more available.

OR3GUN

Sponsor
The welded lifter on a 930 is one of those things that may not be necessary for you depending on what you land on for a loading port, loading method and how your thumb cooperates with it.

The old-school weak hand load from caddies requires that you keep your thumb in contact with the lifter for a smooth load. Sliding your thumb off at the end of the lifter makes smooth very difficult when you have to slide it back up the lifter to milk the next shell out of your hand and into the port. It usually gets caught between the lifter and receiver and takes a piece off of your thumb if you wanted it back in a hurry. On a stock Mossberg 930, you can't get a shell to click into the magazine with your thumb perpendicular to the base of the receiver because of the lip on the receiver that jets out past the follower. As a result, you have to run your thumb at an angle that has you sticking it part way into the magazine tube to click the shell in. The forked lifter doesn't let you have your thumb back without a price. For weak hand from caddies, you need a welded lifter and the front of the port opened up to where your thumb can click a shell past the shell stop when perpendicular. You also need the forearm overhang reduced enough that your index finger knuckle doesn't keep hitting it as you load.

ECF-Show-Clear-Angle.jpg

For twins loading, your thumb isn't milking rounds into the loading port, you are sweeping them into the gun two at a time from a side angle and hoping to get your thumb back. For a gun being used for loading twins, having the loading port angled down so that your thumb naturally flows to the port is key. If you have the end of the port opened as you would for weak hand caddies you are most of the way there. The forearm will be even more in your way and you will still want your thumb back. What works even better for some than a welded lifter for twins is one that takes the lifter's factory 'u' and opens it into a wide 'V'. Your thumb doesn't need to slide back up the lifter with a twins load for the next shells as you have to go back to your belt for them. The easiest way to keep your thumb from getting caught in even a welded lifter (which still happens when your loading port is opened too far) is to not have the trap there at all to get caught in. Opening the lifter works better for some people than a welded one. You also gain the ability to fix a double feed from the bottom. The only down side to the wide 'V' is you have to have a port that smoothly accepts shells without requiring the lifter to serve as a ramp.

Quads can again introduce the issue of hanging your thumb up as you run your hand back up on the lifter with the second set of shells. This is less of an issue than with weak hand from caddies, especially since the second set of shells helps to hold the lifter against the bolt as you acquire the port again. The forearm is really in the way for quads on the 930. That second set of shells has to glide over your forearm or receiver while you deal with the first and the flatter the forearm for that distance the better. The 930 is thought to be a really lousy platform due to the height of the forearm off of the receiver. Truth is, the magazine tube sits shallower in the loading port than a lot of other autos, so the loading port itself doesn't have to be as aggressive or deep. That doesn't keep people from cutting them like other guns, but that's a different topic. The magazine tube on a 930 simply isn't buried as deep into the receiver as other guns. Unfortunately, the gas system parts had to go somewhere and they force the forearm to protrude from the receiver more than other guns. Since you have our forearm retainer you are half way there. The rest is getting that forearm on a serious diet if you plan to quad load with it. This can be done by hand or you can send it to us.

CNC-Quads-Cut.jpg

Your existing port will probably work for quad loading as is. You might find running a bit deeper on the sides at front to be worth doing as you progress. The point of greatest frustration when learning will be the amount of forearm you have hanging in the way.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for all of the info, all these tips for bettering myself are perfect. Gives me some new things to try as well. Are there any videos that your team produces on youtube for some best practices for reloading and moving or shotgun in general?

I was reading up on your guys caddies, I love the solid construction part, but would love to try one before dropping cash to make sure it works for me. Hoping to to do my first match in April, will call the range to ask about renting some gear or talking to members that don't mind loaning gear.

Thanks again for your time and information!

Latest posts