STI 9mm 1911

Horty

Well-Known Fanatic
I am interested in a 9mm 1911 and from what I hear as to which way to go the consensus seems to be STI. However STI appears to have a ton of models. My question is what is the difference between the Spartan and the Trojan and what is the difference between the Trojan 5.0 and 6.0? Also is there an "economical" 2011? If I wanted to get a 2011 which would be the best option for a someone on a budget but who still wants a quality pistol?

andrsnsm

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a used STI LS9 and it was the worst gun I ever tried. Literally jammed every round. There are other options within the STI product line. Do your homework and lots of Google searches for reviews.

Sam Anderson

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
The Spartan is the bare bones imported model with the Trojan being the domestically produced offering.

The Trojan is a much nicer handgun, 5.0 is the 5" with the 6.0 being the 6" gun.

Best deal going on a 2011 in 9mm is an Eagle, very nice gun, will run you $1,700-1,800 plus magazines.

RyanReed

Semi-Pro
I have a Springfield 9mm 1911. It has been a great gun. No problems. My buddy has a Spartain and it has run well for him. The main issue with the 9mm in a 1911/2011 is the magazine. The round is shorter than the 45acp so the mag will have some kind of spacer. For single stack mags, the metalform with the front groove work well, but only hold 9 rounds. I've had luck with the ETM's but others have had problems. I've heard good things about the Tripp Cobras as well. For the 2011, SV's mags are the best, but they are pricey.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
If you want an economical 2011 you'll need to spend every waking second on Enos and then hope that one turns up that you can claim immediately. That is the best bet. We've had a few come through here, too, but that's very rare. Sometimes they come up on Gunbroker, but also not often. "Plus magazines" means "plus a few hundred or several hundred more dollars." Also also, my experience so far is some brand new STI 2011 mags need to be repaired to working order immediately after removing them from the package. It's called tuning.

Latest posts