Spotting scope for .223 @ 300 yards

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Wanting to move up from my cheap Game Winner that I bought years ago, which is only useful to 200 yards. Barely. At 300 yards I have to drive down and look at groups in person.

Have been looking at $500-$1000 priced spotters, as well as video camera target systems. I would also be happy with buying any cheaper spotter than allows for seeing .223 holes at 300 yards. Whatever is chosen won't be used for anything but target shooting. I remember Leupold reviving the Redfield brand and using their glass in Redfield scopes, but not sure if that applies to spotting scopes. It doesn't matter if I can't do it cheaply, but that would be nice.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The only spotter I've looked through that could see .223 in cardboard at 300 is a high dollar Swarovski. The $1600 vortex razor HD couldn't do it. You had to shoot a shoot-n-see type target to see .223 at 300 with the vortex. That's why I bought a camera system from for member Adam Balzar aka charger arms. I still agent taken it out if the box so I can't say how well it does. You're welcome to come over and try it out.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Let me know what you find out... my pockets are deep and full of lint to chance a spotting scope purchase. Later,

Kirk

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Holes in light-colored targets seem like they'd be visible, especially after having looked throught some type of Leupold spotter at 200 yards a couple weeks ago. It was so clear it was like standing two feet from the target.

But a camera system is way, way cheaper than even mid-range spotters. I'll wait a bit for answers.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been considering one of the camera systems just haven't had the time to really research them, with the shooting I do I doubt there is a spotting scope that would work for under $3K and even then it would be a crap shoot! I guess the reason we shoot steel. It would be rather nice to see .224" at 300 yards as if it could do that the .243 and .308 holes should be a breeze. Later,

Kirk

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Apparently I started a thread about this on OSA a couple years ago, and Andre Mitinei (sp?) said the Konus 100mm unit was king at 300 yards. It is but $300. Makes me wonder.... He is definitely a guy who has shot a whole awful lot between 100 and 300 yards.

jtischauser

Mitch Gibson said:
Apparently I started a thread about this on OSA a couple years ago, and Andre Mitinei (sp?) said the Konus 100mm unit was king at 300 yards. It is but $300. Makes me wonder.... He is definitely a guy who has shot a whole awful lot between 100 and 300 yards.
Funny. Didn't know anybody shot a lot over there. I thought it was a bunch of high point collectors.

JIMM223

Active Fanatic
Checked zero this weekend at 200, 300 and 400. We could see 223 holes with my old Leupold 20x out to 300 on new clean cardboard with a white paper plate for a bullseye especially when the sun was shining on the target. Could not see nothing at 400.
Jim M

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
When comparing a scope with the camera system, also consider your eyesight.

A fellow shooter had a high dollar spotting scope set up at the range last Spring. He had no problems seeing long range hits but with my old eyes, it was not enough glass. I don't think the Hubble space telescope would help me see bullet holes at anything over 200 yards.

A nice option for the Bulls-eye target cameras, for under $30 you can add their two year "crash and burn" warranty. Shoot the crap out of it with an RPG, box up and mail them the few parts parts you can find and they will send you a new or repaired camera.

jtischauser

Flatland Shooter said:
I just noticed the Bulleye Ammocan cameras are available at Optics Planet.

Will Jesse T's discount codes work with these?

If so, best price I've found on these.
Only one way to find out.

Latest posts