Spencer Keepers Appendix Carry Inside Waistband Class Review

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
I've been carrying appendix inside the waistband for some time now with Glock 43 and consider myself fairly proficient with it. I've tried carrying larger pistols the same way and they've just never felt right. I decided to take Spencer's AIWB class and purchase his Keeper Lite holster for a Glock 19.
First of all, Spencer enjoys teaching and it shows in his manner and the way he helps each student. The class begins with an extended briefing on safety and what can go wrong if a shooter doesn't follow the basic rules of safe gun handling. The examples given are sobering to say the least. While some so called experts declare appendix carry to be unsafe, Spencer demonstrates that it is not only safe but the most efficient way to get your pistol into a shooting position whether standing for seated.
Spencer then goes over the different holster types as well as the pros and cons of each. The thought process that went into designing the Keeper holster and all the little things that it includes is ingenious.
After lunch, we went to the range where our instruction began with drawing from concealment and shooting at a 3x5 inch sized target at 7 yards while being timed. A miss counted as an extra second added to your score. This was used to set a baseline but more about that later. Throughout the rest of the day Spencer had us build on our initial skills by adding a different component, demonstrating it himself, than having us doing it several times until we became proficient at it. Some of the skills we learned included trigger control, how to grip the handgun, safe reholstering, engaging multiple targets, reloading with both or only one hand, drawing safely while seated, and several others. Spencer would walk behind and help each shooter with tips on ways to improve. At the end of day we repeated the skills test of drawing and placing 3 shots on a 3x5 inch target at 7 yards while being timed.
I learned that I can comfortably carry a larger handgun concealed and am confident that I can draw it both quickly and safely to get shots on target if needed. I really enjoyed Spencer's teaching method and his real world examples of why he chooses to carry AIWB. If you carry this way, you need to take this class. If you haven't, you should consider it as a better and faster way to carry a handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Thanks Mike. I think I started carrying AIWB about the same time as you. I tried many holsters before I found Spencer's. I have never looked back.

I know your post isn't about his holster, but it is not a small part of his training

posted via Tapatalk

Reactions: jlw

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Burk Cornelius said:
Thanks Mike. I think we started carrying AIWB about the same time as you. I tried many holsters before I found Spencer's. I have never looked back.

I know your post isn't about his holster, but it is not a small part of his training

posted via Tapatalk
The most comfortable holster I've ever worn and the fastest with a full firing grip on the handgun.

What do you consider proficient? What kind of draw times are you getting? Asking because I don't shoot much anymore and I haven't seen you shoot lately. It might be good to post some typical draws for folks for reference.
I love my keepers..it made a 17 more comfortable and way faster than my 19..

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Gunnut 23 said:
What do you consider proficient? What kind of draw times are you getting? Asking because I don't shoot much anymore and I haven't seen you shoot lately. It might be good to post some typical draws for folks for reference.
I love my keepers..it made a 17 more comfortable and way faster than my 19..
You should take the class. It made me more proficient and confident in my ability to defend myself if needed. You should get out more either to watch me shoot or to shoot yourself. It might relieve your boredom and the apparent need to be a forum troll.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Burk Cornelius said:
Draw times are just dick measuring tools for competition shooters.
posted via Tapatalk
If someone is coming at you with a knife from within 21 feet, you are getting stabbed. The faster you draw, the fewer stabs and slashes you recieve.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Mitch Gibson said:
If someone is coming at you with a knife from within 21 feet, you are getting stabbed. The faster you draw, the fewer stabs and slashes you recieve.
& The slower your draw the more distance that 21ft opens up to.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Wall said:
& The slower your draw the more distance that 21ft opens up to.
One of many subjects Spencer talks about in his class. The advantages of AIWB are pretty apparent in many scenarios.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Sunshine Shooter said:
Do I need this guy's holster to take the class?
No. He goes over different types of holsters but chances are you'll want one when you see what his holsters offer versus the competition.

Latest posts