Source for Blood clot agent...cheap and near everyone

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
The Walmart camping section!

image_zps9084df36.jpg

For $8, the box contains two packets of the clotting agent, bandages, gauze, alcohol pads AND ibuprofen for pain. A cheap, effective first aid addition. This is good stuff. I only have combat gauze which impregnated with the clotting agent. All the packets of the raw powder I had to use from my medic bag.

I haven't seen it this cheap or with so much other stuff so I thought I'd pass it along

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
they used to sell "blood ctot" for $5 a pack of 2. then it went to $15, then they quit carrying it.

glad to see you found it.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
If you were at the range and a terrible accident occurred where someone got shot, would this have enough to try and slow/stop the bleeding? I'm not worried about a stopping the bleeding on a finger cut.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
that is what its for. 11b would know better than i but ive seen some training using the blood clot bandages with the ingredient, you unroll it and pack it in the hole. bleeding stops. the first ones would burn like hell, i was told and then they changed them.

if this is just crystals i wouldnt think it would work on a bullet wound, not some ive inflicted on deer.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
they used to sell "blood ctot" for $5 a pack of 2. then it went to $15, then they quit carrying it.

glad to see you found it.

I hadn't opened the box to see how big the packets were but I will while I type this. My experience with clotting agents are threevfold, which I will detail in a sec. In my trauma bag, I've got pressure dressings (Israeli bandages), CAT tourniquets, and quick clot powder and combat gauze. The quick clot and combat gauze are great when you have a serious wound you can't apply a tourniquet to. Shrapnel to the gut? Pack it with combat gauze (impregnated with clotting powder) or use the powder itself. When we were training to use it prior to employment in Iraq they cut a femoral artery in a pigs groin and had it stopped as soon as the last of the combat gauze was packed in the wound.

1) The first Quick Clot I was issued was in a packet about the height and width of a playing card and was nothing but powder. I don't know about the Celox brand like I initially posted but I know Quick clot would damage your eyes if they were exposed, so use caution. Pour enough packets into wound til bleeding stops, apply bandage dressing and seek immediate first aid.

2) Combat gauze is a long 3-4 YARD piece of Kerlix gauze with quick clot impregnated into it so it stopped arterial bleeds and helped absorb the blood along with increasing the amount of material in the wound you are applying pressure with. Same as above, layer the wound and I mean really pack it with the gauze, dress it and seek help.

3) my least experience was with HemCon dressings, a 4x4" square pad to place directly onto the wound. These were good for extremity surface bleeders because you couldn't pack them inside anything.

I opened the box I got today. There are two 2 gram packets in there. The stuff is very effective but the quantity you use definitely depends on the nature of the wound. Like you said, I'm not dumping this on a cut finger but they don't want to advertise a severed thumb while cutting the Thanksgiving turkey. This is one of those items you may never need, but if you do need it you want as many as you can get. I think having two of the boxes per person is a good start. Especially if you are possibly providing your own medical care for an unknown period of time. I have seen these Celox packets in 15g and 35g sizes, but both are larger than the powdered quick clot packs we got in the Army. Hard to say what size exactly you need, but two boxes (8gr) per person for one anticipated event is probably a good start.

At a gun range, a couple packets of this stuff and a pressure dressing could very well save someone's life. Even if its a gusher and the two packets only slows the bleed but a total clot can't establish, it will give EMTs more time em route. I ALWAYS have a first aid kit with an Israeli bandage, a tourniquet, and combat gauze in case someone gets shot or shoots me.

Because of the long term aspect, I am accumulating all the first aid stuff I can get my hands on. I've got spare bottles of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, lots of hand sanitizer, bandages, my trauma bag including IV starting equipment, gloves, masks, bandage shears, hemostats, etc. On routine visits to the doctors office, ask them if you can have some latex gloves. I asked for gloves and my doctor gave me a whole box along with several one time use suture removal trays that include surgical steel tweezers and scissors.

I've scoured the net and printed out Special Forces medical journals for people and dogs ( green berets have to maintain themselves and their dogs when they're cut off, so their enlisted medic knows more than most doctors) because I may have to work on my dogs, my family, or myself one day.

Article on Celox and the pigs
http://www.aana.com/newsandjournal/Docu ... 30-236.pdf

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
the pig video is on u tube. turn off the volume if you watch it.

"blood Clot" made a large gause pack for a stomach, or very large wound. maybe 10 by 10.

i bought an Army med pack with bandages, tourinquet, and a pack of blood clot. it was $25 but now they sell the same thing but the clot pack has been removed.

Adam, check the pharmacy at walmart in your area. maybe they still have it. i was told this walmart would not get anymore.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys, the range injury scenario is what I was thinking about. Its such a long way for help to get there. Our last shoot shook me up when we had that discharge behind the line, and want to be prepared if it should ever happen that someone takes a round. those packs looked so small, I wasn't sure how they could be effective. I've seen some serious bleeders at traffic accidents.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
not sure if they still have it but it was for sale on the water filter site. hold on....im back. im not sure a 25 gr quick clot is enough for a bad gunshot wound. here is a trauma kit with one QC gause and a vid of whats in the bag . http://youtu.be/APRdUDvPQpY

ok try this. search quick clot. then about the 3rd place down is
quick clot combat gauze amazon .com

there is a quick clot wipe, gauze, 50 gr bag ( for the big hole ) and there are so many prices i got confused. at least its a place to get it by the package instead of a kit with lots of other stuff. the kit above looks ok but it only has one 25 gr gauze.

be sure to find the little type "quick clot" and there si lots of models.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
and the civilian type. clear and not extremely expensive.

silver in case it will be longer to get help.

Quick Clot Combat Gauze - QuikClot.First-Aid-Product.com

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
That video showing the trauma pack and the 25gr Quick Clot Sport product was an impregnated sponge containing 25g of kaolin (clotting agent). Now, the powder and the gauze are both obvious to me: places directly INTO wound. But the sponge...I'm not sure if that's meant to be wiped and held over the area then secured with a larger dressing? So it'll help absorb blood as well as clot as the source comes in contact with the kaolin? I don't know; never had training on the application of a sponge. The new Quick Clot/Celox/HemCon, etc get mildly warm when clotting; the old powder used to get HOT. Like...this feels like a branding iron is cauterizing my wound hot. Just keep the powder away from the eye balls.

With all this talk of USING quick clot, it's important to talk about what do do AFTER quick clot.

You need to give the wound enough time to clot and STAY clotted, because attempting to clean and disinfect the wound too soon can easily get that gusher flowing again. The powder form will leave granules in the wound that are HARD. The wound needs to be cleaned/debrided in order for infection not to set in. This is when a topical anesthetic comes into play because this can be painful. In a SHTF scenario...better chew on something because thats a luxury you probably won't have unless you and your people raided a pharmacy at some point. Not saying I would do it...but I understand the desire to do so. Anyhow, would care is essential and making sure the wound isn't reopened is up to your judgement but hopefully you've got a medical professional that can do it for you if you're not in a hospital. The picture of the cut finger on the Celox box pisses me off; I wonder how many doctors and nurses have to get that crap out of a tiny little cut when a bit of direct pressure would have easily done the trick...

For a gunshot wound on the range, it's one of those situations where you can never have enough first aid stuff. Tourniquets for extremities, pressure dressings, quick clot, etc. As far as the 2oz packets, its better than nothing. You can get 2 4oz boxes for $16; Amazon has a 12g packet (no bandages, antiseptics etc) for $12.30+ $5 shipping.

To pad your 1st Aid kit with stuff, a few boxes of the Wal Mart stuff wouldn't be terrible but you will save money if you want to stockpile this stuff by buying the larger individual packets.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
PCShogun said:
Thanks guys, the range injury scenario is what I was thinking about. Its such a long way for help to get there. Our last shoot shook me up when we had that discharge behind the line, and want to be prepared if it should ever happen that someone takes a round. those packs looked so small, I wasn't sure how they could be effective. I've seen some serious bleeders at traffic accidents.

The fellow who had the negligent discharge behind the line was shooting soft-point .30-06; from point blank range I doubt you'd have enough on hand, ever, to close up the exit wound.

That being said, he was random guy to the area - not on purpose coming to the 'fest, from talking to him. We need to watch the other shooters that come out when we're all at the range (of course this applies to all range time not just 'fest).

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:
The fellow who had the negligent discharge behind the line was shooting soft-point .30-06; from point blank range I doubt you'd have enough on hand, ever, to close up the exit wound.

That being said, he was random guy to the area - not on purpose coming to the 'fest, from talking to him. We need to watch the other shooters that come out when we're all at the range (of course this applies to all range time not just 'fest).

Yeah, a direct hit in the torso or head/neck from a .30-06 or most rifle rounds you're probably not coming back from.

However, a pistol wound, a grazing rifle round or a ricochet can cause a life threatening bleeder that a clotting agent can help.

The reason I stockpile first aid supplies, food/water, ammo, etc is because I'm betting on myself and not the fact that I'll be the first one to go when things go bad. Same principle with a firing range accident.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
These clotting agents are to be used when there is a life-threatening, unending blood loss. Not for cuts or scrapes.

Cleaning the wound shouldn't even enter into your mind. You use the clotting agent to not die before you can get worked on by medics. The surgeon that repairs you is the one that will be the one cussing you over cleaning the clotting agent out of your wound.

For small cuts you should use that "liquid skin" stuff. This clotting agent is a use-or-die only life-saving tool.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
I mentioned cleaning the wound purely from an educational standpoint, like a start to finish thing to get us all thinking critically. Most don't know quick clot powders aren't easy to get out of a wound once it's found blood. It gets hard and crusty. People who get superficial wounds and delay treatment (Oh I'm good, let's keep hiking, etc) after using quick clot I'm sure expose themselves to a large amount of discomfort while the quick clot is removed from the wound; a situation where a bandage and tape would have worked.

I mentioned it so if during a situation where modern medical intervention was unavailable, people who buy quick clot may have an idea of what's going to happen and be required of them after they treat someone with it.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
I mentioned cleaning the wound purely from an educational standpoint, like a start to finish thing to get us all thinking critically. Most don't know quick clot powders aren't easy to get out of a wound once it's found blood. It gets hard and crusty. People who get superficial wounds and delay treatment (Oh I'm good, let's keep hiking, etc) after using quick clot I'm sure expose themselves to a large amount of discomfort while the quick clot is removed from the wound; a situation where a bandage and tape would have worked.

I mentioned it so if during a situation where modern medical intervention was unavailable, people who buy quick clot may have an idea of what's going to happen and be required of them after they treat someone with it.

The medics in my unit relayed to me that they were heavily browbeaten by surgeons and other doctors not to "misuse" QuickClot for anything other than "if his bleeding doesn't stop he will die" because they said it "burned" the wound site and required extensive work to clean (once you fix the primary problems with the subject, that is).

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Avtomat-Acolyte said:
The medics in my unit relayed to me that they were heavily browbeaten by surgeons and other doctors not to "misuse" QuickClot for anything other than "if his bleeding doesn't stop he will die" because they said it "burned" the wound site and required extensive work to clean (once you fix the primary problems with the subject, that is).

Same here. Still, not many other ways to staunch an arterial bleed without losing the limb.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:
Avtomat-Acolyte said:

Same here. Still, not many other ways to staunch an arterial bleed without losing the limb.

Combat Application Tourniquets (CAT) used by the military can be applied for numerous hours without risk of losing the limb (that was not already induced by the initial trauma). For a severe extremity wound, a tourniquet would be my first choice along with a pressure dressing. Something about exposed meat I just like to cover up.

Also, early forms of Quick Clot created immense heat in the site it was applied, but with the newer versions that issue has been resolved.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll try and pick some up (seen it online if Walmart is out). This will go into my 'Better to have it and not need it' category. I know that if something happened at Boggy head or Twin Ponds, you are going to be waiting on a very long ambulance ride or a trip in the back of some guys pick up truck to get to a clear landing zone for 'Life Flight.'

Thanks for the real life info on how this stuff works.

Latest posts