Soon to be new owner of a classic S&W model 36 (chief's special)

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
How cool is this? I have been checking out www.gunbroker.com every so often, just to see what the current market is saying. Then, for some reason, I ended up in the revolver section, and small snubbies, etc... I found a beautiful 1972 (as per the serial#) S&W model 36 (Chief's Special) for a steal, and bid on it.

I won! Yes... I actually won! :D

Now, to go through the 4473 paperwork, transfer fees (FL to VA), background check, etc.. yada yada yada... and it will be mine (and my wife's - should she need it!).

3bcs7sU.jpg

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
How cool is this? I have been checking out www.gunbroker.com every so often, just to see what the current market is saying. Then, for some reason, I ended up in the revolver section, and small snubbies, etc... I found a beautiful 1972 (as per the serial#) S&W model 36 (Chief's Special) for a steal, and bid on it.

Now, to go through the 4473 paperwork, transfer fees (FL to VA), background check, etc.. yada yada yada... and it will be mine (and my wife's - should she need it!).

3bcs7sU.jpg
I have a nickel model 36 no dash I've had for probably 13 years now. Beautiful gun. It's a safe queen for the most part, I added a grip adapter, and diamond grips to it too. It does shoot well, I just don't get to the range as much as I'd like to. Congratulations on your find.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

3bcs7sU.jpg
Must be something in the air. I just won a pre series LW Commander in 45 acp. Picked it up yesterday. It's in nice shape. Took the uncle mikes rubber grips off put series 70 checkered grips on it

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
IT'S A DONE DEAL!!!! :D

The local FFL dealer here in town called me and said it arrived safe and sound. They checked it all over and were amazed at it's condition for 1972. It was most definitely some LEO's backup piece down in Florida for years and years, until they phased them out. The FFL/gun shop here processed all their paperwork, contacted the Florida FFL shop, and did whatever they have to do. I filled out the 4473, went through the background check, and after $30 bucks, it legally became mine!

Problem: I showed it to my wife, and had her hold it. For some reason or another, she said it felt comfortable in her hand! My pinky hangs off when I hold it. So, now what do I do? LOL...

20231206_121608.jpg

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
IT'S A DONE DEAL!!!! :D

The local FFL dealer here in town called me and said it arrived safe and sound. They checked it all over and were amazed at it's condition for 1972. It was most definitely some LEO's backup piece down in Florida for years and years, until they phased them out. The FFL/gun shop here processed all their paperwork, contacted the Florida FFL shop, and did whatever they have to do. I filled out the 4473, went through the background check, and after $30 bucks, it legally became mine!

Problem: I showed it to my wife, and had her hold it. For some reason or another, she said it felt comfortable in her hand! My pinky hangs off when I hold it. So, now what do I do? LOL...

View attachment 33531
Oh oh lol

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Update: I stopped at Cabela's this morning, after I was done with my morning school bus runs (yes, yes, not only am I a retired "Coastie", but I drive a school bus for the county public schools - next year will mark 12 years!)

I grabbed a small, storage/carrying case, and a box of Hornady Critical Defense 110gr regular JHP (NOT +P). When I was back home, I loaded the 5 shot cylinder, tossed my S&W 36 in my coat pocket, and took my 82lb Pitbull/Lab mix for a dog walk (yes, I have a CWP here in Virginia). No issues at all... :cool:

20231207_172457[1].jpg

Latest posts