Something I think would be BOB Beneficial

JRSherman

Well-Known Fanatic
A guy on facebook linked the following youtube video, and it got me to thinking that this would be a good add to a BOB. The video is the more important part of the tool, helping you see and think about the other things you can do with a tomahawk, especially a good one.

Cold Steel Trailhawk-Youtube demonstration

Here's a link to it at Cold Steel's website, which also has other versions available as well.
Cold Steel Trailhawk

If nothing else, and to reduce weight, you could just keep the head in the bag and make your own shaft as you needed. The extra shot of using it as an adze is what I call extra good info though.

Deacon

Well-Known Fanatic
I think no BOB is complete without either a machete or a hatchet/hawk depending on user preference.
I decided to lean more toward hatchet than hawk because I wanted it to double as a hammer. Last time I was in the woods I carried a Kukri machete, a large hatchet, and an ordinary machete. The Kukri gott he most use by a large margin, and is only minimally inferior to an axe in shopping ability.

SMS

Well-Known Fanatic
I think no BOB is complete without either a machete or a hatchet/hawk depending on user preference.
I decided to lean more toward hatchet than hawk because I wanted it to double as a hammer. Last time I was in the woods I carried a Kukri machete, a large hatchet, and an ordinary machete. The Kukri gott he most use by a large margin, and is only minimally inferior to an axe in shopping ability.

If you want to save weight, a heavy bladed knife like a Becker, used with a baton, pulls double duty as a knife and a hatchet. My BK2 works like a champ for most camp chores and I don't have to lug anything else around except for a folding saw.

Bk2X

Well-Known Fanatic
I also agree that a hawk or machete is a very necessary tool. I went with an Esee light machete because being in Oklahoma, the brush in our ungroomed lands is ridiculous and without one you would be miserable. Its pretty impressive what a machete can do to logs and small trees in a short time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxDDSm6fh-E

Y

yousa

I am designing a sort of "swiss army shovel" that is 14 full sized tools in one. The all steel variant is going to retail for something like $125, but weighs 7 lbs. I'm afraid that the 3 lb version is going to be close to $300 retail. But it's going to be able to do 10x as much as you can do with a machete and an E tool. (which weight the same).

dennishoddy

My M1967 entrenching tool with a pick axe will do anything anybody needs to do in an SHTF situation. I've been in situations that required its use.

So, when is this STHTF going to happen?

When will sombody need to build a bunker, when will the hoards attack the bunkers that we have? If they find the fresh air intakes will they fart into the pipe to kill the people inside?

Will they bring excavation equipment to dig them out or remove the boulders that hide them to obtain the food and medical supplies within?

jim bash

New Fanatic
I decided to go with the same brand camp axe as my hammers, estwing. Yeah it is a little bit weightier than the gerbers and others but I have had my hammers for over 30 years busting concrete and everything else with them and have never had one break, the axes are made the same way. It is also balanced just right for throwing. If I manage to bust the handle off of it chances are I'm dead afterwards anyway.

Latest posts