Soliciting Course Of Fire Ideas

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
One area that has a significant impact on whether a match is successful or not is stage design. Often you will see stage designers get in a rut and pretty soon, they all start to resemble previous stages. It's really helpful to have multiple shooters designing stages. However, many shooters are reluctant to contribute.

I've designed hundreds of stages over the years, may of which have been used in sanctioned matches up to and including the IDPA Nationals. Yet no one ever taught me how to design stages, I just started doing it. Over time it can become more difficult to create interesting, challenging and relevant stages.

I would love to have shooters contribute stage design ideas. These can be anything from a thought drawn up on a cocktail napkin, to fully developed stages. I can help ensure that your stage ideas meet the rulebook requirements and contain elements that take each division and classification into consideration.

I can provide tools to help you put your ideas to paper, or I can build them out for you and return a finished product. I can run them in local matches and give you credit for the design, or keep your contribution confidential if you so choose. If you run an IDPA match yourself, I can help you polish your stage designs for a more successful match.

If this sounds interesting to you, feel free to post up here or shoot me a PM. Looking forward to hearing from some of you!

Im thinking of a stage where you start sitting at a bench with a hammer and punch, then a car crashes through the overhead door and you have to defend yourself against three robbers while taking cover behind the safe. maybe get your weapon out of the safe. Id like to call it "My worst nightmare".

Prdator

Keepers Concealment
I'd like to see some stages that are reproductions of actual gun fights. I think I have a list that has some descriptions on it Ill see if I can find it. The other thing I think we need more of is Non standard response on some targets, Not sure how we could do it but I think it would be good for us.

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
Im thinking of a stage where you start sitting at a bench with a hammer and punch, then a car crashes through the overhead door and you have to defend yourself against three robbers while taking cover behind the safe. maybe get your weapon out of the safe. Id like to call it "My worst nightmare".

Believe it or not, I think I could accommodate that! :)

I'd like to see some stages that are reproductions of actual gun fights. I think I have a list that has some descriptions on it Ill see if I can find it. The other thing I think we need more of is Non standard response on some targets, Not sure how we could do it but I think it would be good for us.

If you find some shoot them to me and I'll draw something up. As for "non-standard response", what exactly are you thinking?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass

Does the guy driving the car always look like me?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy

THEN SHOOT A TENNIS BALL OFF ONE OF THE BAD GUYS HEAD

loudshirt

New Fanatic
One thing I think would be fun in an IDPA match is a "blind" stage. What I mean by blind is you dont get to see it until it is time to shoot. It would need to be an easier stage. When I have been out to USSA and Oil Capital for matches I see lots of people gaming the game the longer they sit and watch. It cold be done done one of two ways. Once it is your turn to shoot you will get the stage explained to you then you shoot. The other way would be you go to the stage and just go and deal with what you see. Now I will say I have not shot that many IDPA matches but that is what I think would be fun and interesting.

keyser328

Fanatic
This is a neat idea Jerry!

A couple of us here at the office started talking and brainstorming a bit, and well, I put this together as a rough out of a stage. The drawing is fairly rudimentary, but it was done in paint, so I can't complain too much.

The concept in my head was T-7 either on a cable, or on some sort of track to move. I wouldn't see it moving "too" fast, but at a fair speed to put the shooter in a bit of a hurry. Questions welcome either here or as a PM, and ideas are very much welcome.

Edit: I have another idea in the works as well. Again, these are roughed out ideas, so feel free to tweak as desired.

Attachments

• barnstorming.jpg
    barnstorming.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 85

imacgyver

Founding Member
I think Mike would prefer that we would start the stage with a hunk of metal and have to build a gun to use on that stage!

taymoor

Skilled Lover
Things that my demented imagination would incorporate:

1. vehicle of sorts. we would begin the stage seated inside of it. begin with handgun, transition to long gun stored in trunk.
2. door that must be kicked in
3. exploding target powder (tannerite)
4. baby doll (to be held with weak hand, not to be shot)
5. golf ball that must be shoosted past a line at a pre-determined distance

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Things that my demented imagination would incorporate:

1. vehicle of sorts. we would begin the stage seated inside of it. begin with handgun, transition to long gun stored in trunk.
2. door that must be kicked in
3. exploding target powder (tannerite)
4. baby doll (to be held with weak hand, not to be shot)
5. golf ball that must be shooted past a line at a pre-determined distance

shooted? When do you graduate?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman

This is so funny, I woke up my kids laughing about it.

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
This is a neat idea Jerry!

A couple of us here at the office started talking and brainstorming a bit, and well, I put this together as a rough out of a stage. The drawing is fairly rudimentary, but it was done in paint, so I can't complain too much.

The concept in my head was T-7 either on a cable, or on some sort of track to move. I wouldn't see it moving "too" fast, but at a fair speed to put the shooter in a bit of a hurry. Questions welcome either here or as a PM, and ideas are very much welcome.

Edit: I have another idea in the works as well. Again, these are roughed out ideas, so feel free to tweak as desired.

Thanks for the design! I'll take a look at it when I have a little more time and maybe we'll get it into a match! :)

copertop80

Well-Known Fanatic
What about a in the bed home invasion senerio, Start out lying on a twin bed weapon on the nite stand and then work down the hall and engage targets as they rummage through your "living/media room, kitchen ect ect

dennishoddy

One thing I think would be fun in an IDPA match is a "blind" stage. What I mean by blind is you dont get to see it until it is time to shoot. It would need to be an easier stage. When I have been out to USSA and Oil Capital for matches I see lots of people gaming the game the longer they sit and watch. It cold be done done one of two ways. Once it is your turn to shoot you will get the stage explained to you then you shoot. The other way would be you go to the stage and just go and deal with what you see. Now I will say I have not shot that many IDPA matches but that is what I think would be fun and interesting.
The Ponca City range, puts on a three day event for the US Army reserve. When they do the run and gun, that nobody gets to see in advance, there are plywood barricades, etc. The final stage has a simulated building with a person holding a hostage, that rocks back and forth.
Most shoot the hostage, as they get into the run and gun thing.

Also put in some longer ranges.
Our pistol range is 25 yds.
Last USPSA match had lot of missed at 35. seems to blow their mind.

Latest posts