Smith Elite eye protection

The Antichrome

I've been in the sunglass game for a number of years. I've worked for a couple of different small sunglass companies. I used to be sponsored by Oakley, Rudy Project used to supply glasses to me before there was a prominent Rudy Project shooting team. I'm currently awaiting some glasses to test for a company that wants to introduce a new 'value' line of "tactical" glasses. (their words)

Smith Optics has been in the sunglass and goggle business for a lotta years.
They now have an 'Elite' division that specializes in protective eyewear for ballistic use.
The biggest difference in Smith Optics and Smith Elite Optics is the impact rating of the lens.
Elites have a Mil Spec rating and an ANSI rating of Z87.

(meets ANSI Z87.1 standard for optics and MIL-PRF-31013 standard for impact)

So, heres a quick review of some Smith Elite 'Director' model glasses:
Smith was kind enough to send me a pair to T&E in a matte black frame with Ignitor red lens. These lens are very similar in color to the Rudy Racing Red. VLT is 32% (compared to Rudy's 28%) They are a bit light for me, but I am very light sensitive...on the brightest days, I wear dark grey.
The lens clarity is fantastic, as good or better than anything else I've used. The Ignitor Red color makes my red fiber optic sight pop out. They also increase contrast, the brown cardboard targets show up very nicely.
The lightweight frames look totally conventional. They do not look sporto or tacticool even in matte black. They are a fixed frame though, no adjustment, and the lens are not changeable.
The temples are quite thin, so they are easy to wear under ear muffs. They fit great, they dont bounce or move when running. They've proven to be very comfortable.
I have not worn them in conditions that would test anti-fogging ability. Sorry.
I've used them enough to decide that I like them.

Hits:
Lightweight and comfy.
Fit great under ear muffs.
Great color for shooting.
Good price. ($80)

Misses:
Non-adjustable
Non-interchangeable lens (I never change lens anyway, I just grab another set of glasses)
Lens not quite dark enough for me.
No case provided

What I'd change:
Extra lens in different colors
A darker red lens, maybe even a photochromatic red lens that darkens to about 20% VLT.

http://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Elite+Protective+Eyewear/Protective+Glasses/Director+Tactical/view/

I also have a set of Smith Elite 'Hudson' glasses in matte black with grey lens.
I've worn them for mostly everyday wear. The grey color lens is great, and pretty darn dark.
They're more high tech looking than the Director. I feel like robocop when I wear them, pfft.
But they are comfy, and I like them for both shooting and just wearing. They have less coverage, even on my small face. If they were any smaller, I might not use them on the range.

https://elite.smithoptics.com/products/#/Protective+Glasses/Hudson+Tactical/view/

I'm waiting for some glasses with clear lens to evaluate. I'd also like to test some of the offerings from the rest of the Smith Optics lineup, even though I'd be giving up the extra impact protection.
(I've taken a big hit to the face with a chunk of lead, I dont take the extra protection lightly)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my brief review and found it helpful.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The Antichrome said:
I've been in the sunglass game for a number of years. I've worked for a couple of different small sunglass companies. I used to be sponsored by Oakley, Rudy Project used to supply glasses to me before there was a prominent Rudy Project shooting team. I'm currently awaiting some glasses to test for a company that wants to introduce a new 'value' line of "tactical" glasses. (their words)

Smith Optics has been in the sunglass and goggle business for a lotta years.
They now have an 'Elite' division that specializes in protective eyewear for ballistic use.
The biggest difference in Smith Optics and Smith Elite Optics is the impact rating of the lens.
Elites have a Mil Spec rating and an ANSI rating of Z87.

(meets ANSI Z87.1 standard for optics and MIL-PRF-31013 standard for impact)

So, heres a quick review of some Smith Elite 'Director' model glasses:
Smith was kind enough to send me a pair to T&E in a matte black frame with Ignitor red lens. These lens are very similar in color to the Rudy Racing Red. VLT is 32% (compared to Rudy's 28%) They are a bit light for me, but I am very light sensitive...on the brightest days, I wear dark grey.
The lens clarity is fantastic, as good or better than anything else I've used. The Ignitor Red color makes my red fiber optic sight pop out. They also increase contrast, the brown cardboard targets show up very nicely.
The lightweight frames look totally conventional. They do not look sporto or tacticool even in matte black. They are a fixed frame though, no adjustment, and the lens are not changeable.
The temples are quite thin, so they are easy to wear under ear muffs. They fit great, they dont bounce or move when running. They've proven to be very comfortable.
I have not worn them in conditions that would test anti-fogging ability. Sorry.
I've used them enough to decide that I like them.

Hits:
Lightweight and comfy.
Fit great under ear muffs.
Great color for shooting.
Good price. ($80)

Misses:
Non-adjustable
Non-interchangeable lens (I never change lens anyway, I just grab another set of glasses)
Lens not quite dark enough for me.
No case provided

What I'd change:
Extra lens in different colors
A darker red lens, maybe even a photochromatic red lens that darkens to about 20% VLT.

http://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Elite+Protective+Eyewear/Protective+Glasses/Director+Tactical/view/

I also have a set of Smith Elite 'Hudson' glasses in matte black with grey lens.
I've worn them for mostly everyday wear. The grey color lens is great, and pretty darn dark.
They're more high tech looking than the Director. I feel like robocop when I wear them, pfft.
But they are comfy, and I like them for both shooting and just wearing. They have less coverage, even on my small face. If they were any smaller, I might not use them on the range.

https://elite.smithoptics.com/products/#/Protective+Glasses/Hudson+Tactical/view/

I'm waiting for some glasses with clear lens to evaluate. I'd also like to test some of the offerings from the rest of the Smith Optics lineup, even though I'd be giving up the extra impact protection.
(I've taken a big hit to the face with a chunk of lead, I dont take the extra protection lightly)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my brief review and found it helpful.
Nice review. thanks Robert

shooterrdy

Active Fanatic
Been using Smith Elite series for about 2 years now. I get them from John Sport Center Pittsburg KS they keep a nice selection and I have tried several different frames My favorite is the Director frame its light weight and fits Me well. Where I work requires Safety Glasses at all times and the Elites exceed any and all of those
requirements. I think they are one of the best optical clarity glasses available I have worn Oakley, Wiley X, Ray Ban, Revision you name it the Smith lens are just
damn good.

Cant go Wrong with the Smith Elite Glasses.