Shield .40 to .357 Sig?

gwmac

Well-Known Fanatic
In the interest of providing something for members to talk about, anyone own or know of someone that has converted their Shield .40 to .357 Sig. I am about to make this switch. The .357 sig barrel is coming from Remsport ($129.00) and I ordered a new Shield from Grab a Gun for $345 (pretty good price I thought.)
I don't expect to see the new gun until Monday or Tuesday, barrel is arriving on Sat. 8/25/18.
I will follow up here as this experiment progresses.......

gwmac

Well-Known Fanatic
Ben, new .40 Shield arrives today -8/27/18. Barrel came Saturday and the finish is very well done. I should be able to get to the range later this week.

gwmac

Well-Known Fanatic
Yesterday, 8/30, we fired 20 rds. of .40 for function test. Then switched barrels to .357 Sig and fired 40 rnds of 147gr XTP reloads. I had a couple of hangups on the feed ramp with the hollow points. Barrel has some kind of coating, not sure what, but it also covers the feed ramp and it hasn't been polished.
I have ordered 125 gr. JHPs which the .357 Sig was designed for, and another test is planned for next week as is some attempt to polish the feed ramp with Mother's.

The .40 rounds were spot on at 7 yards, the .357 XTP were as well. Recoil from both calibers was not bad at all, the Sig, IMO, seemed lighter than the .40.
More to come.

gwmac

Well-Known Fanatic
I had this gun to the range again on Monday. Tried shooting several different weight bullets and different power loads. Regardless of what .357 Sig ammo was in the gun, it shot low, from 3" to 5". The only possibility remaining is a much lower front sight, which I have decided against. I just don't want to invest any more in what started as an experiment. I would say, for me, this conversion was a failure. I haven't decided what to do with the .40 Shield. Almost everything else I shoot is 9mm.