scope help?

win mag

Fanatic
I went to gene sears today to look at a night force 5.5x22x56. The salesman told me nightforce did not offer front focal plane in that scope. He reccomended a vortex razor hd. It has zero stop, front focal, illuminated reticle, paralax adjustment. He says the glass is as good and he runs it on his guns instead of night force. Anyone had any experience a vortex scope? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
He is correct about Nightforce; you can only get FFP in the NXS F1 3.5-15x. I've not handled a Vortex but I've read a lot of good things about them.

ez bake

Well-Known Fanatic
He is correct about Nightforce; you can only get FFP in the NXS F1 3.5-15x. I've not handled a Vortex but I've read a lot of good things about them.

Are you sure about that? I thought for sure there was one of the Nightforce 22x models with an FFP?

hmmm - NF's sight doesn't show it, maybe I'm imagining things...

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, I'm positive. The Nightforce NXS F1 3.5-15x is the only FFP model they have.

When I spoke with NF on the phone last month, I was told there are "no future plans to add a FFP scope with higher magnification". However, things do change and I've heard/read somewhere on the Hide that Nightforce is working on a larger magnification FFP but it's still a long way out from being ready for production.

Whether or not his information is accurate is anyones guess.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't get a 56mm objective IMO. The rings have to be too tall. I have a 56 and have used several 50s and will go with 50mm NFs from now on.

The Razor HD is made in the same factory as the NF. They both have great glass. I think the NF is a better scope for the money spent though. The Razor doesn't feel as robust to me, but they are both great scopes firmly on the shelf just below the top shelf. The Razor HD also has a goofy 35mm tube so your ring selection is severely limited.

Why do you think you need FFP? Are you shooting things at unknown ranges and you like to change the magnification setting a lot? I leave my NF on 22x all the time and all NF NXS scopes range at max power instead of a midrange power like some other scopes. FFP is nifty, but I bet you'll find you can manage just fine without it.

win mag

Fanatic
I am having a gun built chambered in 300wm with a surgoen action, kreiger barrel, jewell trigger, A.I. bottom metal, A5 stock. This is my first serious long gun. There are so many optics to choose from I am somewhat overwhelmed. I had settled on NXS 5.5x22x56 zero stop ffp. Then found out it didnt exist. I understood zero stop and ffp to be upgrades. After more reading I dont know if I need ffp. FFP explained in laimen would be helpful.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
With a FFP scope, you can use your reticle to range throughout the entire magnification from 3.5-15x and the ranging will be accurate. With a SFP, accurate ranging can only be done on the highest magnification such as 15x or 22x for the NXS.

If there's more you'd like to know, speak up and I'll post as much info as needed until you understand. ;)

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
I am having a gun built chambered in 300wm with a surgoen action, kreiger barrel, jewell trigger, A.I. bottom metal, A5 stock. This is my first serious long gun. There are so many optics to choose from I am somewhat overwhelmed. I had settled on NXS 5.5x22x56 zero stop ffp. Then found out it didnt exist. I understood zero stop and ffp to be upgrades. After more reading I dont know if I need ffp. FFP explained in laimen would be helpful.

Most people don't need FFP. I don't know why people seem to have gone bonkers over it personally. I get that it has some use, but I don't think it has that much use. When you reduce the magnification much past the 1/2 way mark the scale/dots gets too small to see very well anyway. Yeah, the reticle shrinks when you lower the magnification on a FFP scope.

What it does is makes the mil dots (scale or whatever you're using) true for any magnification. SFP scopes are only true at one set magnification. Luckily on the NXS scopes that is at max power (where you'll likely have your scope set if you're shooting past 100 yards). Whatever the ranging power is on an SFP scope, you can half that and you can double the value of the mil/moa measurements you take with the reticle. That will allow you to have a great FOV and still have an accurate ranging method. Basically takes the need for FFP away.

If you're gonna drop the $2k for the Razor, I'd seriously consider stepping up to the top shelf for another few hundred dollars. You can start getting into second hand S&B, Premier, Hensoldt, and USO scopes for 2500+. If you didn't want to spend that, a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 or 56 can be had for between 1500 and 1600. The High Speed turrets are the only way to get a new production NF with zero stops. That is an $1800 scope with the HS options. I'd take a NF NXS 5.5-22 with HS knobs over a Razor HD any day of the week. I'm a big fan of NightForce though.

win mag

Fanatic
I understagond ffp now thanks. I anticipate my gun being done in two or three weeks. Looking forward to a trip to badlands in the near future. Has anyone been, does anyone have any plans to go?

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Badlands donated some certificates here a while back. I'm curious as to if any of those guys went to class yet. I hear nothing but the best about his classes and facility

win mag

Fanatic
why would someone with a full knowledge about optics choose a 3.5x15 over a 5.5x22 or visa versa mounted on the before mentioned rifle?

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
why would someone with a full knowledge about optics choose a 3.5x15 over a 5.5x22 or visa versa mounted on the before mentioned rifle?

When I got my Nightforce I was asking myself the same question. The way I decided was that losing the 2 lower magnification settings was worth gaining the 7 higher settings. I figured I would be fine for hunting with at the 5 power and I can jump it up to 22 when I'm target shooting. Mine is the 5.5-22X50 with the High Speed Turrets and let me tell you the Zero Stop feature is worth it's weight in gold.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
If you take good notes the zero stop just becomes a nifty feature. Take good notes.

I've tried 'yote hunting with my 5.5-22 and under 100 yards 5.5 doesn't give enough FOV for me. I'd like the 3.5 for a gun that was gonna see some hunting. When you start getting over 20x the mirage can be a killer. The 3.5x15 is a great magnification range. If the gun is going to be set up for mostly long range shooting the 22x is worth giving up the 3x on the bottom end for me.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
This is GOOD NEWS, fellas!

[b said:
NF Optics-Bill[/b]]
ScottyS said:
Lowlight said:
Here it is, the NF Shot Show flyer,

I seen no 5-22x listed on the SHOT Show flyer..

Nope, we didn't unveil the higher magnification FFP scope publicly, but they were there in the Military office. I won't comment on it as I'll let those who were really able to get their booger hooks on it tell you if it will be worth the wait or not...

New reticles for the NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 will be here shortly and we anticipate 60 days or less before they're hitting the shelves.

This means there IS a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x FFP in the works and may be ready for production in the very near future!

Latest posts