Saturday Project

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
This morning I started out with this...

Before.jpg

And a short time later I had this...

After.jpg

Not a bad way to spend the morning.

Now its time to go to the range and make sure it works. :)

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
Double Star Lower

The following from PSA:
LPK
Buffer tube assembly and stock
Stripped upper

Stag Arms Handguards and muzzle brake

Barrel is made by ESS Solutions and bought from Sportsmansguide.com chambered for 5.56

Upper parts were ordered piecemeal from Brownells.

I think thats everything. For the time being its going to borrow a BCG from one of my other AR's for 5.56/.223 shooting and its a safe place to store my .22 conversion kit.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
I bet the pictures are reversed- started with the rifle and then disassembled it! :lol:

Just kidding, when are you planning to test fire it? If it shoots as good as it looks it will sure be a honey of a firearm. :cool:

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
Awesome!

Here's some neat trivia about ESS Solutions:

That Barrel was made in Summerville SC.

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
Torontogosh said:
Awesome!

Here's some neat trivia about ESS Solutions:

That Barrel was made in Summerville SC.

Cool. I did not know that.

thebrasilian said:
Amazing how easy these things are to make, huh!

To me it is much more gratifying to build it myself than just fill out paperwork and walk out the door. I've assembled a few lowers but this my first one where I assembled the upper and lower. The price was a little more than it would have been off the self when you factor in the shipping cost and all the tools I had to get but its still worth it to me.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
You only have to buy the tools once...then the fun begins and the savings multiply. :D You may also end up with a heck of a lot of variations on an AR just because you can. Sort of like Lays Potato Chips." Bet you can't build just one. ;) "

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
Made it out to Boggy Head today and got to put about 200 rounds through it. The thing shot like a dream. No issues whatsoever. I fired Federal and PMC brass ammo, Wolf steel ammo and Freedom Munitions brass reman ammo through it. Then I swapped out the bolt for the .22 kit and put about 100 rounds of .22lr down range. I am very pleased with my build. Now its time to start picking up parts and pieces for my next one :) . Just in time for the gun show this weekend.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Which 22 kit, mags, ammo? I'm still tinkering with my Ciener to find the best combination. Best so far is Black Dog steel lips with Federal Champion bulk blue box plated HP.

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
The .22 kit is a CMMG with two CMMG Mags. For ammo its a mix of CCI mini-mags and Federal copper jackets. Runs smooth in any AR I've ever tried it in. I haven't tried it with lead ammo. The mini-mags and Federal bulk packs have proven themselves as the best in other .22's I've owned so they are all I use now.

Latest posts