SASS SC State Championship Match at Greenville Gun Club 9/20-23

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
Participated in my first State match. Someone said it best that "there were many challenges", especially with temps more like mid summer than the first of autumn. Wouldn't trade it for rain though. The awards banquet was really interesting.

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
Sounds like fun! How did you do?
I try not to think about it. I am not a State championship candidate but wanted to experience a State level match and all the additional activities, vendor presence, etc.

My rifle locked up and the action would not close with 6 rounds still loaded on the last stage. At home I tried a squirt of Ballistol. Two minutes later I was able to close the action. I believe the bolt was dry of lube, so lesson learned there. I cleaned and lubed as best I could and the gun twice cycled 10 unfired rounds with no problems.

tomk62

Active Fanatic
I try not to think about it. I am not a State championship candidate but wanted to experience a State level match

I know what you mean. I like to compete in USPSA and 3-gun but I have a long way to go until I challenge the top of the bracket. I just look at it as a fun way to improve my skills and get some trigger time.

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
at_liberty,

Just out of curiosity, what rifle were you shooting that you had this trouble with?
Uberti Lightning Short Rifle .357 Magnum, 20" 10 round, prepared by Longhunter in Amarillo. Usually runs perfectly when clean and lubed. I run 357 brass. I know this usually brings forth all the usual dings about Lightnings and Uberti vs. Pedersoli, but I owned the gun already when I started and like the style points. The gun cycles most reliably on Penn 158 TCBB that has the taper all the way to the crimp, a unique bullet.

Cherokee Slim

Fanatic
I was just curious. I shot cowboy action for a couple of years using a Uberti '73 in 38/357, but I shot .38's all the time. Most of the time, when people on the line were having trouble cycling, it was a '94 Marlin that they were using. Certainly not an exhaustive study of the two rifles, just an observation from participating in a lot of matches. My Ruger Vaqueros were done by Longhunter and I've been really happy with them.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
I was just curious. I shot cowboy action for a couple of years using a Uberti '73 in 38/357, but I shot .38's all the time. Most of the time, when people on the line were having trouble cycling, it was a '94 Marlin that they were using. Certainly not an exhaustive study of the two rifles, just an observation from participating in a lot of matches. My Ruger Vaqueros were done by Longhunter and I've been really happy with them.

Slim, you should come back to a match in Belton (2nd Saturday) or Greenville (4th Sunday).

I bought my New Vaqueros from Longhunter and they've been fine.

Cherokee Slim

Fanatic
Frog,

I went out to the range in Belton for one of the Bushwhackers matches shortly after moving to Anderson from Gainesville, GA, not to participate, just to meet a few people and check out the club, range, course of fire, etc. Didn't end up meeting very many people; thought I would get back there eventually but so far have not done so. In the meantime, I've gotten much more involved in Muzzleloading and that keeps me pretty busy nowadays.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Frog,

I went out to the range in Belton for one of the Bushwhackers matches shortly after moving to Anderson from Gainesville, GA, not to participate, just to meet a few people and check out the club, range, course of fire, etc. Didn't end up meeting very many people; thought I would get back there eventually but so far have not done so. In the meantime, I've gotten much more involved in Muzzleloading and that keeps me pretty busy nowadays.

One shooting discipline is plenty for most folks but consider yourself to have an open invitation to a cowboy match. We have black powder categories if you have gotten accustomed to the sound and smoke.

I see a lot of spectators at matches who show up while the match is going on. They tend to hang way back (if I see them I beckon them to come up closer). If I know someone is interested in checking out the game I usually encourage them to arrive during registration so that we can answer questions and give a quick "nickle tour" before the earplugs go in and we get busy shooting the match.

Latest posts