Safety Hole

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm curious. I saw a thread on another forum and the guy is upset about the condition pictured below. I have seen this on 1911's as long as I can remember. It's only on custom or high end guns with grip safeties that allow a high grip on the gun. Material is removed from the frame to accommodate the grip safety modification and when the thumb safety is contoured to blend with the frame, this is the result.

You will not see this on a standard issue GI M1911A1. It's common on Wilson's, Nighthawks, and a number of other custom or high end 1911's.

Do you guys see this on your 1911's? If so, how do you feel about it? It has never bothered me.

Mike, I'm sure you will not see this on that great specimen you have.

20211008_075128.jpg

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
In for the Education CE .
What forum was that do you recall?

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I just looked through all of mine and I did find that but only on one and that was an Ed Brown lw Kobra but it is about 1/3 that size. I had to use a flashlight and get up close and look at it from underneath at an angle to see just the edge of the hole. The NH's, GI's, LB's and Wilson's did not have it showing even with a light.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
It happens with certain frame / thumb safeties. Not a deal breaker. I'd be more upset with the loose grip safety / frame tang fitment, but in reality its a lower end Springfield.

If the fellow purchased it new, he has very little to complain about. And now knows to examine potential purchase just a bit closer prior to purchase.

I've had 1911s that have had this gap, usually try to avoid it but it happens. I don't think any of my current gathering exhibit this gap.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It happens with certain frame / thumb safeties. Not a deal breaker. I'd be more upset with the loose grip safety / frame tang fitment, but in reality its a lower end Springfield.

If the fellow purchased it new, he has very little to complain about. And now knows to examine potential purchase just a bit closer prior to purchase.

I've had 1911s that have had this gap, usually try to avoid it but it happens. I don't think any of my current gathering exhibit this gap.
Seems like about 30 to 40% of the high end 1911's will have this. It's usually just a very small amount showing. I accepted it years ago as inherent to the customizations that are made to enhance the grip. 2 of my Wilson's I owned in the past had it very slightly. A Supergrade and a CQB.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
So excuse me for being dense but. Why does the enlarged frame hole exist?
Was this a mistake or was it done for fitment reasons?

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
So excuse me for being dense but. Why does the enlarged frame hole exist?
Was this a mistake or was it done for fitment reasons?
Fitment reasons. The condition happens when mfgrs remove material from the frame in front of the grip up high to allow a higher grip on the grip safety. The thumb safety is contoured along the line this creates. If the thumb safety is left as-is, it will protrude past the frame when disengaged, creating a rub or pinch point. The exposed hole when the thumb safety is engaged is the result.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got one Wilson that has a tiny spot similar to your example , has to really look to see it , would never even have noticed without OP's post . To me it looks like manufacturer had polished off the edge of the thumb safety a bit too much .

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
DW, SA, and Kimber all have it. I don't like it, but don't worry about it. I hate when the safety extends past the frame. I had one 1911 that was so bad it would have my hand bleeding after a few mags. I fixed it by taking material off the safety, and it had the hole afterwards.

Latest posts