SA 1911 Brazil-Imbel

Rev. Josh

New Fanatic
Hey Folks,

Looking to you guys as the experts here. I have recently come into possession of a Springfield Armory M1911-A1. I'm pretty sure it's a much older one. I have a few questions, if you guys can weigh in, I would greatly appreciate it. I've posted pictures as well so you can all see if you want to.

1) On the frame it says "Made in Brazil-Imbel," and then there's a "WW." Is this a cheap 1911? Is it garbage? Is it worth restoring? I would like to use this as a project to turn it into something special, but I don't want to do it if it's a crapy firearm.

2) I want a new barrel, a better trigger, need an ambi safety, need new grips, another grip safety…it needs a lot of work. It doesn't have many rounds through it, and I've cleaned it throughly, but is this something I can throw Wilson parts in? I truly have no clue.

3) I guess I'm asking, what CAN I do to this to make it something special?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I know SA from their M1As but have no idea how well the 1911s are made.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
They are great entry level 1911s, imo. Change springs, detail strip, clean and properly lube. It should be fun at the range. The "WW" series, now discontinued, is SAIs version of GI 1911A1s. Not to be confused with SAIs "mil-spec". If you appreciate small sights and GI styling, you've got a great 1911. Not sure what needs restoring, pic looks pretty nice, but I wouldn't go down that road. I had SACS do up a GI model for me. Back when they worked on customers guns.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll also add, the WW models have vertical rear cocking serrations and ejection port is "high wall", imho very desireable features for an authentic 1911A1 look. I've owned more than the SACS custom one referred to in above post. All have been good shooters and with a bit of massaging, reliable shooters as well.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey Folks,

Looking to you guys as the experts here. I have recently come into possession of a Springfield Armory M1911-A1. I'm pretty sure it's a much older one. I have a few questions, if you guys can weigh in, I would greatly appreciate it. I've posted pictures as well so you can all see if you want to.

1) On the frame it says "Made in Brazil-Imbel," and then there's a "WW." Is this a cheap 1911? Is it garbage? Is it worth restoring? I would like to use this as a project to turn it into something special, but I don't want to do it if it's a crapy firearm.

2) I want a new barrel, a better trigger, need an ambi safety, need new grips, another grip safety…it needs a lot of work. It doesn't have many rounds through it, and I've cleaned it throughly, but is this something I can throw Wilson parts in? I truly have no clue.

Why change anything if it doesn't have many rounds in it??? It's a good gun don't mess with it. Clean it & use it.

Rdr202

New Fanatic
Hey Folks,

I have three Springfield 1911's one was made in USA the other two were made in Brazil. They aren't expensive guns but they shoot well and I haven't had any issues

Mikey

Fanatic
I would advise the same as Pierre just dissemble clean inspect, lube and use it. I believe it is a perfect match for a GI model pistol. If your looking for a tactile I believe you would be money ahead trading for one, lot of parts and work to convert. Imbel is a good manufacturer Springfield used them for years to manufacture their frames along with others! They are forged and will hold up very well much better than RIA. As for internals if their in good shape their is no need to change these parts will outlast any casual shooter. Everyone at some point changed the grip panels so go with what you like. From your picture it looks like a perfect pistol in real good shape.

UDot

Fanatic
If it's an older model, it may even have a little extra value to someone. Let's say you sell it for $600-$700 and for about $900 or so you can buy a Ronin, Range Officer or another model with the features you want.

If you modify it, just know that parts like the barrel, bushing, grip safety and thumb safety need to be hand fitted, they don't just drop in like Glock parts. Since you may have to pay a gunsmith for those services, that's why I suggested you sell that one and look for something with the features you want.

Latest posts