S&W 170343 Classic Division legal

potentpoefie

Fanatic
So I can get a good deal on a S&W Performance Center 1911 in 45 (sku: 170343).
Good looking pistol and all and of course I can just buy it for having another good looking pistol however I'm in the market for a pistol that I want to use.

Currently I'm shooting revolver division in IPSC and ICORE. I run pistols for 3 Gun Nation only.
However I'm looking to get into Classic Division (I believe in USPSA it's called Single Stack). I was looking for a 9mm because less recoil, more ammo. I'm already use to that setup for Revolver division shooting a S&W 929. So minor but more ammo.

However this deal came around and now it has me doubting if I just shouldn't get it. However the factory slide cuts is what worries me. Does that eliminate it from this division since the rule book states "17. Prohibited modifications / parts are slide lightening cuts, weak hand thumb rests and slide rackers." Do these factory slide cuts fall under this since it is technically not a modification but an factory product?

potentpoefie

Fanatic
Thank you so much.
That's what I figured. I know IDPA has the same kind of rule but it would allow this pistol even with the slide cuts. I guess follow the money as they always say. ;-)

Thanks for the info.

Yes, my first choice was the #178047. Although I'm not a fan of adjustable sights. So might go for the fixed sights version. Just throw some Dawsons on them.
I would love the Springfield RO as well but I do love me some Big Blue.
The STI Trojan is nearly impossible to find down here in South Africa.

Just figured it was such a good price on the 45 but 9mm will be the way I go then.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
potentpoefie said:
Thank you so much.
That's what I figured. I know IDPA has the same kind of rule but it would allow this pistol even with the slide cuts. I guess follow the money as they always say. ;-)

Thanks for the info.

Yes, my first choice was the #178047. Although I'm not a fan of adjustable sights. So might go for the fixed sights version. Just throw some Dawsons on them.
I would love the Springfield RO as well but I do love me some Big Blue.
The STI Trojan is nearly impossible to find down here in South Africa.

Just figured it was such a good price on the 45 but 9mm will be the way I go then.
And to make it even worse STI has discontinued their SS line of guns. :(
Be aware that 9mm in 1911 is a bit finicky. My Trojan runs perfectly on Dawson and Brownells mags which use the metalform tubes. Put a Wilson ETM or any other Wilson mag in it, and it wan't run at all. Nosedive city. If you can get the Dan Wesson line from CZ in South Africa you might give those a look as they are known to be one of the more reliable out of the box guns and good build quality.

potentpoefie

Fanatic
Definitely Deplorable said:
And to make it even worse STI has discontinued their SS line of guns. :(
Be aware that 9mm in 1911 is a bit finicky. My Trojan runs perfectly on Dawson and Brownells mags which use the metalform tubes. Put a Wilson ETM or any other Wilson mag in it, and it wan't run at all. Nosedive city. If you can get the Dan Wesson line from CZ in South Africa you might give those a look as they are known to be one of the more reliable out of the box guns and good build quality.
That's good to know. I actually investigated the Dan Wesson option in SA and it's a no go. I haven't found anyone bringing them in.

Latest posts