Rolling your own

Bentsight

Well-Known Fanatic
I still shoot black powder silhouette competitions and in that sport you just about have to cast your own bullets, so casting a few hundred 1oz slugs is not a big deal. I was curious if anyone is casting/loading their own slugs for 3gun? I think I can produce my own for approx. the same or less cost as a reloaded birdshot round vs. $1.00 each for manufactured rounds.
Thanks
Mike

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I know a guy out of Texas that loads his own slugs. He's a member hear as well. I would love to load 500 and call it good for a year or two on slug purchasing all while saving $ but I can't get my stuff together long enough to load the 9, 40, 45, @ 223 I need. I'd buy some from you if you ever had extra to sell.

Bentsight

Well-Known Fanatic
I picked up a low cost Lee 1oz slug mold and poured a few. I've got 100 cast and plan to try a few loads on Fathers Day to see how they work. I've researched a few loads on the web and from old loading books and was really surprised in the velocity and pressure spreads you can load to. Everything from low power 1100 fps loads to others that run over 1600fps. I plan to run them through an 870 and my Benelli with open to modified choke tubes for starters. Will post the results/details in the next week or so if they are good enough to share.
Mike

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
my hats to you. I would love to learn to cast my own but I don't think the wife will allow me to play with fire anymore.

Latest posts