Reloading

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I just fired some more of my 9mm reloads today. This was the remainder of my first batch of 50. Flawless! They functioned extremely well in my gun. I am as hooked as anyone can be. I'm really enjoying optimizing my setup and obtaining supplies.

I hope the wife doesn't add up my spending. I may have to sleep in my reloading room. :oops:

Just kidding. I think she's happy that I'm happy.

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Congrats! I've been reloading since the 70's, old school single stage reloader. It is very rewarding to tailor the load to your purpose and at times the individual gun. Making better ammo than you can buy at far less of a cost is certainly a winning situation.

Since I've retired, reloading is even more important for the cost savings and especially in these crazy ammo times. It is the only reason that I'm still able to shoot 300-500 rounds a week.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Congrats! I've been reloading since the 70's, old school single stage reloader. It is very rewarding to tailor the load to your purpose and at times the individual gun. Making better ammo than you can buy at far less of a cost is certainly a winning situation.

Since I've retired, reloading is even more important for the cost savings and especially in these crazy ammo times. It is the only reason that I'm still able to shoot 300-500 rounds a week.
So far, I have really enjoyed it.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Ahhh! I harken back to the 70s when it was all brand new. I have not regretted a minute of it all.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
not sure if this fits your budget

trifusion tactical is selling spp-- ginex/unix.

Never tried them..not yet anway. my order f rom February just showed up

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.."Congrats! I've been reloading since the 70's, old school single stage reloader. It is very rewarding to tailor the load to your purpose and at times the individual gun. Making better ammo than you can buy at far less of a cost is certainly a winning situation Since I've retired, reloading is even more important for the cost savings and especially in these crazy ammo times. It is the only reason that I'm still able to shoot 300-500 rounds a week. "

apipeguy's post is so close to my history & thoughts ..no need to repeat them.

I started around mid 70's.. 'cept I bought a "new guy on the block" Dillon 450, progressive press. I was taught the basics on a Rock Chucker , since this wa pre-internet times, my education was a lot "learn as you go"..no search engine or youtube to consult.
I now load all my rifle loads on a Rock Chycker, after replacing the old Lee single stage press I bought new from Midway, for $9.99 (on sale..LOL)
many years ago. Having to trim & measure cases sorta defeats the advantage of a progressive press, IMO.
As supply meets demand, I believe component prices will drop , some anyway.
Though I do believe the $30../K primers I paid for my last bulk purchase will probably not return. So glad my last purchase was a large one.
At the time I made that purchase, I recall thinking.. "you're spending a LOT to buy just primers." If I'd known the future I'd have doubled my order.

CECannonJr, my Dillon is set up to load 9mm as well ( just recently switched from 45's) A recently purchased AR-15 chambered in 9mm has been burning thru my stash of loaded ammo pretty quickly. Sighted it in with irons, then put on a scope, then switched to a better scope.. Now, I've got a new 1911 chambered in 9mm to break in, and report on. My Bul 9mm Commander is waiting for my club's indoor to re-open (repairing the backstop). May have to shoot it outdoors, if it stops raining & warms up.

For components, 9mm isn't a caliber that's fussy about powder selection..many powders work very well, in my experience.
I load 115 gr, 124/5 gr, & 147's.. in FMJ , JHP, & even Hytek-coated bullets. Finding primers are the biggest issue, from my understranding.
Good luck in your loading..it can get to be an (almost) addiction

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
.."Congrats! I've been reloading since the 70's, old school single stage reloader. It is very rewarding to tailor the load to your purpose and at times the individual gun. Making better ammo than you can buy at far less of a cost is certainly a winning situation Since I've retired, reloading is even more important for the cost savings and especially in these crazy ammo times. It is the only reason that I'm still able to shoot 300-500 rounds a week. "

apipeguy's post is so close to my history & thoughts ..no need to repeat them.

I started around mid 70's.. 'cept I bought a "new guy on the block" Dillon 450, progressive press. I was taught the basics on a Rock Chucker , since this wa pre-internet times, my education was a lot "learn as you go"..no search engine or youtube to consult.
I now load all my rifle loads on a Rock Chycker, after replacing the old Lee single stage press I bought new from Midway, for $9.99 (on sale..LOL)
many years ago. Having to trim & measure cases sorta defeats the advantage of a progressive press, IMO.
As supply meets demand, I believe component prices will drop , some anyway.
Though I do believe the $30../K primers I paid for my last bulk purchase will probably not return. So glad my last purchase was a large one.
At the time I made that purchase, I recall thinking.. "you're spending a LOT to buy just primers." If I'd known the future I'd have doubled my order.

CECannonJr, my Dillon is set up to load 9mm as well ( just recently switched from 45's) A recently purchased AR-15 chambered in 9mm has been burning thru my stash of loaded ammo pretty quickly. Sighted it in with irons, then put on a scope, then switched to a better scope.. Now, I've got a new 1911 chambered in 9mm to break in, and report on. My Bul 9mm Commander is waiting for my club's indoor to re-open (repairing the backstop). May have to shoot it outdoors, if it stops raining & warms up.

For components, 9mm isn't a caliber that's fussy about powder selection..many powders work very well, in my experience.
I load 115 gr, 124/5 gr, & 147's.. in FMJ , JHP, & even Hytek-coated bullets. Finding primers are the biggest issue, from my understranding.
Good luck in your loading..it can get to be an (almost) addiction
Thanks. I'm having a lot of fun. I'm already addicted!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad you got started reloading, wish I had started 6-7 years ago when I was thinking about it, finally bought a used 550 just about the time components went through the roof price wise and the shortage began, so I sold it but I have a guy that reloads for me very reasonably, I bring him tons of range brass and he treats me excellent price wise in exchange, one of members here STI really has it down, casts his own bullets, has a real good setup

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Plastic I hate Plastic. Can you imagine loading Berdan primed cases? Now what about Plastic cases? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

plastic GIF