Refinished my Mosin

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
Didn't try to baby it, but I got it out of its thick shellac and cleaned it up. Finished it with a few coats of Tung oil for a durable finish.

mosin-1.jpg

lafayette gregory

Well-Known Fanatic
The purest will hate you but I like the blond color. I refinished my first 31/30 and bleached it with clorox in the Alabama sun. It turned out very good and is still my best shooter.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone have advice on how to touch up the original finish? My 91/30 has a few dings and scratches; I don't want to refinish it, but would like to touch up the bare wood.

lafayette gregory

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:
Anyone have advice on how to touch up the original finish? My 91/30 has a few dings and scratches; I don't want to refinish it, but would like to touch up the bare wood.
There were finished in shelac. You can smooth it out with denatured alcohol. Go easy and wipe slowly.

RyanEOD

Well-Known Fanatic
How exactly does one do this to a Mosin? I think it looks VERY nice, and it is a cool project I would be interested in trying . . .

Thank you!

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
I took it apart, then I just used a paste stripper from Home Depot and Tung oil. A few minutes on a few nights... new gun.

Latest posts