Red dots for concealed carry?

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
With a new prescription came new eyeglasses.

I pocket carry daily and run a box of ammo through the gun quarterly to keep the ammo fresh as well as keep me familiar with the gun.

With a little judicious head tilting, I could still see the front sight but just barely. But each time I took out the carry gun at the range, it seemed like I needed to move the targets a little closer.

Now with the new eyeglasses, the front sight is just a distant memory.

All of my red dot experience is with C-mores (on pistols and shotguns) and Burris Fast Fire 3's (on shotguns and rifles).

What I would like is a compact red dot with extremely long battery life. No sense in carrying with a round in the chamber if I need to switch on the red dot. Way too slow.

I'm looking for recommendations or actual experience from anyone that actually carries their defense weapon with a red dot.

Thank you.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
You might think about a red dot that displays on the target as opposed to a red dot site, like a crimson trace laser grip. I have one for 4 different pistols and they are very accurate to about 100 feet.
They do not use battery power until you grip the pistol, a pressure switch in the grip causes the dot to appear.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Good idea Jeff. I need to see if they make them for any of my guns.

The 100' accuracy is much better than I expected.

Do they do well in bright light like we usually have here in Texas?

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
I have no experience with slide mounted optics, but I do have one crimson trace laser. IMHO I see my laser as a multiplier, not a replacement. In bright light (sunlight or flashlight) the laser can disappear. Trijicon makes a battery free sight with fiber optic and tritium.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
In bright light the laser sight absolutely disappears.
I was shooting with my uncle in law the other day and he had a sig with crimson trace grips. I ended up turning off the grips and just going iron sights cause the laser was getting washed out in the sun.

Chasegibson

Well-Known Fanatic
Flatland Shooter, This may or may not apply to you but red dot sights such as a Trijicon RMR can appear incredibly blurry to people with an astigmatism(like me). To the point where the red dot looks like a giant fireball instead of a crisp 2 MOA dot or whatever size it is supposed to be. Just something to consider for you or anyone else who stumbles across this thread.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Flatland Shooter said:
Do they do well in bright light like we usually have here in Texas?
The few times I have used them outside in the sun light they do tend to fade in the 50-100 foot distance, but they did not disappear completely. It was more like they grew from a 1/4" at 50' to about 3/4" at 50'. When it got to 100' it was more like a 2" or 2.5" faded blob, instead of the tiny red dot.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

dennishoddy

Learn to point shoot at point blank distances in daylight. The laser works great at night, or low light, but sucks during the day.
One training session I went through many years ago taught the first shot should go off midway between the draw and coming to the eye at point blank distances. 3-7 yds. It does take some practice but you would be surprised at how accurate you can be on center mass shots.
I have the same issue with glasses. The front sight is a blur at best.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
You can get green lasers in Crimson Trace grips now.

As for a slide mounted optic, the Trijicon RMR is the only one I'd consider for a carry gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts