Recommended tube capacity?

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
Was thinking of getting a 21" Benelli M2 along with a +5 extension for 8 rounds total. Think that's fine? Or should I go with the 24" M2 and a longer tube?

If I were buying again, go as long as you can. It's an advantage to load 4 off the buzzer on some stages
Division capacity is 8+1 in the chamber for 3gun

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If you plan the shoot any 3-gun nation sanctioned matches you have to run 9 round max capacity for the limited division. SO you might consider a +5, coupler and a +4. That way you can play in Practical and Limited. Then you can add another +9 for Open.

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
If you haven't bought the gun yet. Get a 24" and +9 tube

posted via Tapatalk
Have not picked up a M2 yet. I think it's pretty unanimous to go with a 12 round tube and the 24" barrel.

This may be a stupid question... but why isn't the 26" or 28" M2 more popular with the 12 round tube? Seems like it'd only be an ounce or so heavier and you get a longer sight radius?

jtischauser

FlashAndPoof said:
Have not picked up a M2 yet. I think it's pretty unanimous to go with a 12 round tube and the 24" barrel.

This may be a stupid question... but why isn't the 26" or 28" M2 more popular with the 12 round tube? Seems like it'd only be an ounce or so heavier and you get a longer sight radius?
Long guns aren't as cool as short guns.

Back in the soldier of fortune days when 3-gun was beginning they had some rule about tube versus barrel length. It was all very tacticsl back then. The norm was a 18-21" barrel with an8 round tube.
In 2009 when I started mos my guys still ran the 21" barrels but you occasionally saw 24". Some of the gamier guys ran 9 or 10 round mag tubes so they could top off an extra round. Shotgun loading was slow and Most shotgun arrays were 8 rounds or less with lots of space in between arrays so you could load while you walked to the next array. As loading moved to dueces then quads it was a lot easier and faster to load so having extra space in the tube allowed everyone to quickly add an extra 4 rounds whenever they had an opportunity. Off the beep, after a gun transition, on the run etc. I ran a 12rd tube right when I started thinking for myself in stage break down. It just made sense to have the opportunity to always grab four more and have them in the gun if you had the time to load them even when we were loading old school 1round/second. Now that just about everyone runs a 12rd tube the shorter barrels don't seem to make as much sense. I moved to a 24" and now I'm running a 26". They are a little heavier but I like the fact that I can run IC or S choke in just about everything with my 26" and the longer sight radius never hurts.
Maybe in a few years I'll get a 28". I had a 30" A5 for awhile. It swung and dent just fine but i sold it before really trying much 3-
Gun with it.

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
Thanks Jesse for that great info.
I think I found a used 28" M2 for $1000. Gonna try and find the round count, but I don't think I should be too concerned buying a used Benelli... hopefully lol.
Figured I could try the 28" barrel out and just get a different factory barrel if I find I prefer something shorter.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Jesse Tischauser said:
Long guns aren't as cool as short guns.

Back in the soldier of fortune days when 3-gun was beginning they had some rule about tube versus barrel length. It was all very tacticsl back then. The norm was a 18-21" barrel with an8 round tube.
In 2009 when I started mos my guys still ran the 21" barrels but you occasionally saw 24". Some of the gamier guys ran 9 or 10 round mag tubes so they could top off an extra round. Shotgun loading was slow and Most shotgun arrays were 8 rounds or less with lots of space in between arrays so you could load while you walked to the next array. As loading moved to dueces then quads it was a lot easier and faster to load so having extra space in the tube allowed everyone to quickly add an extra 4 rounds whenever they had an opportunity. Off the beep, after a gun transition, on the run etc. I ran a 12rd tube right when I started thinking for myself in stage break down. It just made sense to have the opportunity to always grab four more and have them in the gun if you had the time to load them even when we were loading old school 1round/second. Now that just about everyone runs a 12rd tube the shorter barrels don't seem to make as much sense. I moved to a 24" and now I'm running a 26". They are a little heavier but I like the fact that I can run IC or S choke in just about everything with my 26" and the longer sight radius never hurts.
Maybe in a few years I'll get a 28". I had a 30" A5 for awhile. It swung and dent just fine but i sold it before really trying much 3-
Gun with it.
That's the most coherent post I've seen from you in years.

posted via Tapatalk

jtischauser

FlashAndPoof said:
Thanks Jesse for that great info.
I think I found a used 28" M2 for $1000. Gonna try and find the round count, but I don't think I should be too concerned buying a used Benelli... hopefully lol.
Figured I could try the 28" barrel out and just get a different factory barrel if I find I prefer something shorter.
I've bought only one new Benelli simply because they have me dealer cost on it. the other 20 or so were all used and all were great guns.

Well then find out where he's buried, dig him up and give him a big ol kiss in his worm hole

Latest posts