Range finders

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
The range finder I have now is rated for 600 yards. It's complete bullcrap. I can't get it to pickup my backstop (30'x8' dirt berm) past 400 yards. It works great for my archery hunting, but sucks for my rifle shooting. So I'm in the market for some new ones. What do you guys use. Here are the only musts I have...

Must read out past 1000 yards repetitively.
Under $1000

BeRotten

New Fanatic
The range finder I have now is rated for 600 yards. It's complete bullcrap. I can't get it to pickup my backstop (30'x8' dirt berm) past 400 yards. It works great for my archery hunting, but sucks for my rifle shooting. So I'm in the market for some new ones. What do you guys use. Here are the only musts I have...

Must read out past 1000 yards repetitively.
Under $1000

I have the older version of the Leica Rangemaster. It is supposed to read to 800 meters, however, I have had it read out to 1200 yards on reflective targets like road signs and billboards. The new version is supposed to read to 1600 yards.

http://swfa.com/Leica-7x24-CRF-1600-Rangefinder-P46106.aspx

I think that's the secret is what you are ranging and it's reflectivity. Trying to range a bush or tree at 1000 yds probably won't work to good.
My older Leica will range a leafy tree fairly consistently out to 750 yds or so, beyond that, it needs a little better reflectivity.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
The Leica is one of the ones I'm looking at. The other is the Bushnell fusion 1600. The reflective thing is what concerns me. At my range all I have to range off of is the dirt berm. I thought about getting a sheet of plywood and painting it a reflective color. But I know if I do then someone's gonna shoot it up thinking its a target

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The Leica is one of the ones I'm looking at. The other is the Bushnell fusion 1600. The reflective thing is what concerns me. At my range all I have to range off of is the dirt berm. I thought about getting a sheet of plywood and painting it a reflective color. But I know if I do then someone's gonna shoot it up thinking its a target
Just got an email from optics planet where you can preorder the Bushnell elite 1600 for $459. They claim it'll range a tree @1000yrds & reflective @1600.
Elite 1600

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I've been looking at the Leica for a while now. I haven't really heard anyone give it a bad review.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
The bushnells have the fact that I could use them as spotters because they are binos but the Leica's have the optic quality and are smaller and lighter. I've also heard that the bushnells have a very slight blueish tint to them. So right now they are equal in my standings. Both are the same price.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I sent an "I'll take it" on a set of Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30's.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Looky what came in the mail today!!
9fd3ec08.jpg

Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30 1500 yard range finder.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Went out this morning and practiced up at 400 yards for the clay pigeon shoot next Saturday. I also ranged my dirt berm at 1049 yards and ranged a clump of trees at 1620 (its a 1500 yard rangefinder so this is awesome). The glass is as good or better than my Nighforce scope. I am so happy to not have to range from 3 different places just to get to 700 yards now!!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
From what the guys that do the LR hunting you just got the best rangefinder on the market! your about to have a 1K range and have the most awesome rangefinder, I'm jeleous for sure ;) Later,

Kirk

Latest posts