Rain Gear

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
So I need some good rain gear/cold weather coat suggestions, I have an LL Bean jacket with fleece liner, it leaks like a sieve and is a solid color. I am looking for something that isnt astronomically high like full rain suits, but I dont want something that is going to fail on me in a year.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
I am found of Barbour in the duck blind and general wear around town wear. think of it as an investment and shop for the sales on Orvis.com.

dennishoddy

I got rain gear from Cabella's. Herters brand pants and jacket. They almost feel like fleece and have a liner on the inside to keep you from feeling clammy. Camo is the color and I've used them in pouring rain storms to stay dry for many years now. I'd buy them again.

1texan

New Fanatic
Jonathan Waits said:
So I need some good rain gear/cold weather coat suggestions, I have an LL Bean jacket with fleece liner, it leaks like a sieve and is a solid color. I am looking for something that isnt astronomically high like full rain suits, but I dont want something that is going to fail on me in a year.
u can always return l.l.bean stuff forever. i only returned 2 pcs of gear (Both defective) they were great
return and buy more.
return go to cabella's i have 3 sets of their gortex as i wear a 3x-top, xl bottem.

hope this helps

1texan

dennishoddy

1texan said:
u can always return l.l.bean stuff forever. i only returned 2 pcs of gear (Both defective) they were great
return and buy more.
return go to cabella's i have 3 sets of their gortex as i wear a 3x-top, xl bottem.

hope this helps

1texan
Welcome to BoomerShooter!

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
I got a Drake 3 in 1 jacket last year that was toasty even down to the 20s. A little more pricey at first, but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Josh Cobb said:
I got a Drake 3 in 1 jacket last year that was toasty even down to the 20s. A little more pricey at first, but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great comment. You do get what you pay for.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had good luck with Northface gear when I used to do photography in the rain & cold. Lands End also has some decent stuff too.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
Since this topic jumped out at me this day, the day i was going to post on facebook this question. Here goes.
For 3 years now I have been looking for a technical, performance like jacket, soft shell with no luck.
Lets say money is no object because I have looked at items from $70 to $700 with no luck.
Here are my requirements.

Hooded, VERY Breathable, Windproof, Non Restrictive Arms aka Angle Wing Movement, Fleece lined and Stretchy Outside Fabric.

Breathable takes in a lot of products as that has advanced tremendously.
There are products out there wind proof and very breathable.
Gore Tex is fine which is breathable and water proof which provides wind proofness but not as breathable as new technology which usually requires pit zips.
Which is Okay if all requirements are met.
What I'm wanting is more likely to be found in mountain climbing gear which is where i got exposed to these products.
That said, there are not a lot of 2X mountain climbers. So that is another requirement.
Yet, depending on who creates it a 2X in one brand could be a XL in another.

In our competition sport, we exert brief spurts of energy followed by long periods of less activity.
Thus the need to ventilate for brief periods.
It can be cold or windy or rainy or all at the same time.
Here is what this combination provides.
With an Under Armor stretchy T shirt base, not cotton, and the jacket I describe with the features you have a system that will pull perspiration off of you and is a fast conduit thru the fleece, thru the breathable outer shell to keep you dry, not clammy at all and still provide a comfortable temp range.
Not to hot to the point you have to come out of it.
The comfort range is much larger that goose down, which to this day is still hard to beat.
You cannot imagine how much weather you can dominate comfortabley with the simple T shirt and jacket combo as i have described.
We are talking LITE WEIGHT, FLEXABLE AND A LARGE COMFORT RANGE.

Anyone know of a product they can point me to ?

Michael

Latest posts