STI/SVI Quick 2011 range pitstop this morning.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Quick initial range session this morning With the Staccato P DPO.

122 rounds. Mixed between 115gr & 124gr.

Zero feed or function problems.

Singles, doubles & Mozambique drill.

The duty-rated heavy trigger pull will take some getting used to. Will likely swap out with a longer flat trigger.

Err'ythang went left. Gotta do a pile of work on the shooter…that's the true limiting factor.

60BEC564-0203-4DD5-9C72-22442D88C734.jpeg

93E1F9B6-7864-4E91-9A32-1D827D4878F8.jpeg

880A9796-903A-426B-906F-1D3DE6852EC0.jpeg

Stopped on way home to pick up the workbench that arrived.…free shipping to store. Will make for a good place to reload and work on guns.

Son wanted one to use as desktop, place to build his computers & stuff.

They are way overbuilt for the purpose with 3,000 lb weight capacity each. Should hold up for our needs just fine.

Now….time for a power nap and a week of night shifts.

0D6B3E36-95AF-4989-9356-E17DE6DB0601.jpeg

CEF2E1D0-C629-49FF-AF33-125BF11A5E62.jpeg

0F526087-2362-4CA0-9756-9FCAA5C24A67.jpeg

Last edited:

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Well.....last weekend I had some downtime and decided to go ahead and mount the DPO plate and RMR.

Even with the plate it sits down low enough for my liking.

The Dawson tool-less guide is a much appreciated feature.

Greased her up in all the right places.....with way too much lube.

Over-lubing ain't purty.....but it's how I roll with guns during their first several sessions.

Besides....the Hoppes Black stuff is mighty thin. Their Black oil is the same way. First time using either....just found out about when researching Staccato-related videos & articles.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
This morning I had a perfect opportunity to sneak over to the range for a quick trigger therapy session.

Over coffee and news catch-up I loaded 200 rounds into mags....taking very little time and all that was needed was a firm surface to press down on using the Magula Upula.

(If you haven't used one.....please give one a try. Super easy magazine loading...easy on the hands & fingers.......fast, too. )

Loaded them under the watchful eyes of our ferocious gun dogs. :)

Stuck two of the reactive black dots on the target and ran it out to 10 yards.

Figured I'd allow myself the two dots as reference points in this first run with a red dot.
One on head...and the other at center mass.

Ran 180 rounds at the target...split between center mass dot and the head dot.

Singles, doubletaps & Mozambiques. Gun ran smoothly and recovered nicely under recoil.

The Bad Guy was looking well ventilated once the smoke cleared.

As I ran the target back.....a welcome sight was approaching....much less shot dispersion evident than I was expecting.

Much better than my first session with this gun (using irons).

While I had the target in close....I stuck a third reactive circle on the Bad Guy's left hip and then ran it all the way to back of the range.

Here is where I goofed up.
On the prior 180 rounds I'd remained very target focused....trusting & believing in my solid grip and comfortable trigger press to put hits on target. No worries about the sights....never looked at the backup irons...just focused on the target and let the dot hover.

On these final 20 rounds I let myself get immediately hung up on trying to anchor the red dot over the tiny black circle on the target's hip. Target image blurred as my eyes played the relay race from tiny black target to front sight. It was an awkward feel. Instead of trusting the red dot....I pretty much abandoned it.

Shot the 20 rounds in a labored way....nothing like the fast and smooth prior 180.

I revealed a lot with those last 20 rounds.

I suppose I'll see on my next session if I actually commit to memory what was learned.

Those "carefully" aimed final 20 are in the green circle.

Looking forward to getting back there as soon as I can.

I want to see how the dot runs outside. There is a small window of time tomorrow where I may be able to slip over to the outdoor range....fingers crossed that it works out.

Last edited:

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Nice. OK, you're a pretty good sales guy....if you ever need a 2nd calling.

I just ordered an uplula from MidwayUSA. Thanks for the tip.:)

You will love it.

They offer a single stack adapter that fits in place on your UpLULA.

While you can use the UpLULA to load single stacks without the adapter.....it does make it even easier.

Imagine a world where there are no bites from metal fed lips pressing into your fingers during mag loads. You, sir, are about to enter this world. It's GLORIIOUS.

Okay....I exagerate....but only a small amount.

Dad introduced me to them. I thought it sorta gadget-like.....until I tried it. SOLD...forevermore a fan.

Dad also introduced the red dots to me years ago....I avoided them....more gadgetry.......today I learned just how wrong I have been. Useful tool.

Ole Dad never steered me wrong....not one day in my life. Why would I doubt him on even simple stuff like these two engineering marvels ?????

I'll never delay on acting on his advice again. If he says a bantam rooster can pull a plow.....I'm gonna find a harness right away. :p

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
LOL. Those dogs look like serious killers. :oops: :)

Yup.....real deal no kiddin' terrors they are. :D

Sure have been amazing additions to our family. So much enjoyment.

It is simply IMPOSSIBLE to come home from a tough day at work and remain in a bad mood. These little girls just won't allow it.

My little buddies. Hope they don't mind when I finally retire....'cause I'm planning on adding a Lab puppy to our tribe.....and another a year or so later.

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
You will love it.

They offer a single stack adapter that fits in place on your UpLULA.

While you can use the UpLULA to load single stacks without the adapter.....it does make it even easier.

Imagine a world where there are no bites from metal fed lips pressing into your fingers during mag loads. You, sir, are about to enter this world. It's GLORIIOUS.

Okay....I exagerate....but only a small amount.

Dad introduced me to them. I thought it sorta gadget-like.....until I tried it. SOLD...forevermore a fan.

Dad also introduced the red dots to me years ago....I avoided them....more gadgetry.......today I learned just how wrong I have been. Useful tool.

Ole Dad never steered me wrong....not one day in my life. Why would I doubt him on even simple stuff like these two engineering marvels ?????

I'll never delay on acting on his advice again. If he says a bantam rooster can pull a plow.....I'm gonna find a harness right away. :p
Enjoy your time with your Dad. That time is invaluable. Mine has been the example of a great Father. He has dementia now and the days of meaningful conversation are gone. I miss that more than I can say with words. I see him and talk to him every day. It's like he's gone but he's still here. I'm now doing my duty as a son, and trying to match his performance as a Father.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Enjoy your time with your Dad. That time is invaluable. Mine has been the example of a great Father. He has dementia now and the days of meaningful conversation are gone. I miss that more than I can say with words. I see him and talk to him every day. It's like he's gone but he's still here. I'm now doing my duty as a son, and trying to match his performance as a Father.
"I'm now doing my duty as a son, and trying to match his performance as a Father".

I don't have the words, man.

Prayers for your ongoing strength, faith and peace.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Sipped some good coffee this morning and at some point decided to dig into the small stash of Blazer aluminum-cased ammo that's been showing up from Academy.

Stuffed 250 rounds.

Hadn't adjusted the sight's zero since installing.

Figured I'd go on more session.

View attachment 1097569

Sent target to 10 yds.

View attachment 1097570

Ran 190 rounds….transitioning between torso & head each shot.

Ran it quick….barely aimed. Dot recovered quicker than irons would have.

View attachment 1097571

No complaints with acquiring the dot during recoil. It typically did so before the slide returned to battery.

Substantially easier to shoot aimed rapid shots than I do with irons.
View attachment 1097572

Steel frame was hot.

Put up another target that had a few small stick-ons placed at center mass. Ran it to the back of the range. ~ 65'

Ran three 20-rd mags. Same pace as before….slightly slower than mag dumps.

View attachment 1097573

Not where I want to be at such a range…but much better than the target was at same distance last session….and this is as fired much faster.

View attachment 1097575

She was hot & dirty as the smoke cleared.

View attachment 1097574

Home to clean & adjust sight.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Woke up late this morning....wiped out from a 14hr shift yesterday.

Sipping coffee....the thought of two more such days coming at me tomorrow & Sunday....I decided to grab some ammo and stuff it into some mags...finish the pot of java, grab a shower and then go hit the range before I did any of my other chores...a plan. A plan that involved some trigger therapy.

The 140mm were filled and put 15 in each of the 126mm.

Ran it out to 10 yards.

This time put a shot in torso, then transitioned to head. Alternated every shot.

Let the gun run at it's pace and it pretty much preferred WFO-speed. :cool: The sounds of other shooters in the far lanes was hopefully masking my lack of adherence to the "1 shot per second rule".

190 rounds.

Torso-to-head-to-torso-to-head....until the slide locked empty.

She was beyond warm at this point.

The steel frame was downright hawt.

Still haven't adjusted the zero on the sight. I simply popped a battery in it, mounted it and have run it on two sessions.

60 rounds left.

Full bottle of cold drank.....and a fresh target with the center mass covered up with stick-ons.

Ran it on back to the end of the range....laughing, thinking about how horrid my results were last time I did this.

Slid a full mag in, dropped the slide...pushed out to the target with both eyes wide open......dot acquired during the stab at the Bad Guy's guts......trigger presses in rapid pace....WFO. Silde lock, mag change, swiped off slide lock....stab out at target and let it ride. Repeated.

Ran the target back to the line and wasn't too happy, however....it was loads better than last time.

Will give keep trying these occasional "way back there" targets on occasion, So dang much easier to see with the focus on the target than the bouncing dot covering the guts as gun settles back down after slide slams home. BANG. Rythmic. Easy. Satisfying.

Three points to make:
1) didn't notice the base-of-thumb irritation.
2) had one failure to fire about 150 rounds into it....was in the groove and didn't allow for full trigger reset before taking the next shot...nothing happened. Ejected round, tap rack and ran out the rest of magazine. No burr on the case rim, no visible issue. Topped it into next magazine and continued on. Zero problems. 110% shooter related.
3) Staccato has called me twice and left an email, in response to my reply to their email regarding there being nothing that can be done. They were very nice and friendly on the phone and in email...stated in both that they have their team working up a possible solution to a blended part and would be getting back with me next week. I'd missed the calls due to being at work. I replied with and update...that is very positive, actually. Glad to see they are capable of working out solutions....even if I am going to fund it.

Last edited:

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
GREAT posts and informative, as well as entertaining. Seems you and the red dot pistol are getting to know each other. I want to try out a dotted pistol, but have no where to do so, short of making the purchase. Time will tell. Supposedly I'm adding no more!!

I also had a terrific Dad. Way better man then I was a son. RIP Dad, you were always straight with me and your guidance, even as I resisted, was never wrong. I sure miss him, you'll never regret the time Charlie.

I, uh, gotta step away from the computer for a bit, seems I got something in my eyes. Be well all

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Snuck over to the range today for some trigger time.

9mm & .38 Super

50 rds of each.

5838078A-9437-4216-A4CC-99E928C00BD0.jpeg
DBEBA811-06FA-407D-A388-54B1CF77E16C.jpeg

Shot 'em up at same target, same 10yd distance….and wearing same scratched up plastic safety glasses that were fogged up nicely.

It was a good test.

The red dot on the 9mm 2011 was easy to see through the blur.

The gold bead on the .38 Super 1911 wasn't.

Torso cluster came from the red dot 9mm.

.38S to the noggin.

A5FC9167-1049-4C46-B529-B9CDABC00C0C.jpeg

Felt good to run 'em. Always grateful for the trigger therapy sessions.

7C8AFE02-80C6-46C8-AB01-E1E09E610DF3.jpeg

251AA9C0-0B97-4B5D-B17B-ACAAF414D36D.jpeg

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Great practice that could very well become invaluable. Nice shootin'

Thanks.

It sure feels good to shoot again.

I'd almost forgotten what gun smoke smelled like. Lately, I'm tasting it after some sessions. :)

622 rounds through the 2011 thus far. Zero failures other than when I short-stroked it on the trigger reset once.

I can honestly say that making the transition to adding a red dot wasn't as difficult as I'd feared it would be.

I let a couple fledgling stabs at it turn me off a couple years ago....the last time was when I was in the groove with a certain .45 commander. Picked up one of Dad's red dotted semis and struggled through a magazine. Couldn't put it down quick enough....had to run my commander some more just to ensure the bad juju from the dot didn't linger.

I suppose it's like a lot of stuff......introduce something at the right time & in non-rushed environment the outcome can be more desirable.

One thing....I gotta get outdoors on my next few range sessions. Heat & humidity are fine.

Paul_1SG

Fanatic
The 2011 is a monster. I own the DVC Carry. It shoots like an extension of my hands. It is a super pointable pistol. Everyone who shoots it grins from ear to ear.

Latest posts