Purse Carry

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
...... no, not my purse.

My mother-in-law carries a snub nose revolver in her purse and doesn't have an adequate holster in my opinion and I wondered if any of you had a recommendation?

I am thinking about getting her a "Burk" holster from KyTac without the clip. Maybe a pocket holster, but it would need to have more retention than most pocket holsters so it doesn't fall out in her purse.

Ideas?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I wish I could talk her out of carrying it in her purse but I don't think that is going to happen.

Do you think she needs a holster with gun retention (fitted) or just a generic fit holster so you could draw it from the purse with one hand? Similar to this one

yhst-76317331763364_2194_63690551.jpg

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I wish I could talk her out of carrying it in her purse but I don't think that is going to happen.

Do you think she needs a holster with gun retention (fitted) or just a generic fit holster so you could draw it from the purse with one hand? Similar to this one

yhst-76317331763364_2194_63690551.jpg
I've seen it done with a holster similar to this ...I't better than being poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

I dont advocate "off body carry" ... but a ladie's purse is full of loose change... broken pencils, dust and grit... all that stuff will stop a revolver. Any thing heavy is going to go right to the bottom if not secured, we've all watched women go fishing in a bag before.

The other issue... women change purses like we change...socks?... So what fits in one purse may not fit in the one they take later on.

One female carrier I know puts some Scotch tape over the muzzle end of her J frame and totes it loose. She says the lint takes over if the bore is not sealed up--- and that tape is safe to shoot through.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
You might try the Burk holster with out the clip and place an additional rivet in the holster somewhere at the botttom of the holster, Then run a small piece of paracord through the extra rivet, and attach the end of the paracord to the purse, with a binderclip or tie it, so that she can draw the gun and holster and when the gun clears the purse the holster stays connected to the paracord which is tied to the pruse. Some one posted a picture of a holster/piece of kydex, like that that just covered the trigger guard of the pistol, and was made for use with a backpack.

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
Check out the skeleton kydex holster by Phillyedc on YouTube.-
Same concept piedmont3 was describing but is kydex shell with para cord already attached pretty cool. Just wrap the para cord around something purse handle etc. and give it a jerk when needing to draw.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Here is the Post that has the trigger gard, it was posted bt TroyF in the EDC thread.
Here is one of them. It snaps around the triggerguard, on the other end is a carabiner, both connected by some 550 cord.
I just stuff the gun into a bag, and secure the carabiner to some attachment point somewhere on or in the bag. I draw the pistol, and prior to full extension, the cord runs out of "slack" and the "triggerguardian" pops off.

I saw an undercover narcotics officer using something similar for "Mexican Carry". I'm not a fan of that, but at least with this, there is an added margin of safety. I use the carabiner, because it's versatile. I can snap it onto something under my driver's seat, a drawer on the nighstand, etc...

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
I would just talk to david about it.. i saw an awesome pocket holster he made for someone else and it would work great in a purse, enough retention it wouldn't fall out. He does a great job making holsters fit for special purposes.. I have had him do my holsters and mag pouches and couldn't be happier... especially in a situation where things could get lodged in the trigger guard, i would get a good holster and a custom Kydex holster would qualify

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
burk, the flashbangs are nice and dang fast, we just picked up one for my wifesl lc9. also if she insists on purse carry look into the gun tote'n mamas purses they just use a nylon holster velcroed in but it is in its own compartment in the purse so there shouldnt be anything else around the holster.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is a little something I did for a similar carry fashion.

So I decided to modify a Blackhawk SERPA holster to fit in my Every Day Carry bag. Without going into too much detail I have provided pictures. I basically affixed some velcro to the back of the SERPA holster and it will stick to the inside of the back pocket or any other MOLLE system. So without further ado, here are the pics. These are in chronological order.

2012-06-12164555.jpg

2012-06-12164506.jpg

2012-06-12164629.jpg

2012-06-12164616.jpg

2012-06-12164532.jpg

2012-06-12164703.jpg

2012-06-12164813.jpg