pump for 3 gun

Well-Known Fanatic
Witch pump would be better to set up for 3 gun. I'm looking at beneli nova or a 870. Any opinions would help.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I used a cheap Mossberg Maverick 88 this last weekend just for shits and giggles. Ran perfect.
The one thing that most people don't remember with a pump is, an empty chamber is worthless so the second that shot breaks you need to rack another round in.
I saw a couple other people running pumps at the match and they were making the shot and then waiting to get their sights on the next target before they racked another round in the chamber which really hurt their times.
I run my pumps as fast as I would an auto. It takes a little practice, but can be easily acheived. Now I just need to practice my reloads.

And 870's are definitely overhyped.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Definitely the nova.

Loading is WAY easy. The action is smooth enough. You never have to clean it. Literally.

When I had one, I got the regular field model. I have grown up a hunter and the simple bead or fiber optic front sight is what I am used to. I have tried the ghost ring sights, not on the nova itself but a 930 spx, and hated them. I did alright on stationary targets with them but hitting anything flying was a hit or miss experience. You may find you like them and the nova tactical may fit you. I'm not sure if the tactical has chokes or not, but I would definitely get a shotgun that can accept chokes. I've seenway too many guys with 18" cylinder bore shotguns not able to finish a stage because they can't knock a steel target down. When I had my nova I used modified choke (because that's all I had) and it worked well. Now with my SLP I use light modified, thanks GT!

Get the nova, get a Nordic extended mag tube, smooth up and open up the loading port a little, and shoot the piss out of it. If you can find, or chop a, 22" or 21" barrel I think would be ideal. I had a 24" (actually mine may have been 26"!) and made it work but it was just a bit long when inside the mine shaft at OKC GC. You may not think 2" is enough to notice, buuuuut it is. The nova is, IMO, the perfect starter 3 gun shotgun. Relatively cheap, easy to load, low maintenance, durable, and if 3 gun isn't for you or you decide to upgrade to an auto, (which at some point you most certainly will), the nova makes a great duck/dove/pheasant shotgun, or you can sell/trade them easy. I traded mine for a surefire x300 weapon light and some cash. Wish I would have kept it really.

Well-Known Fanatic
You may not think 2" is enough to notice, buuuuut it is.>>>> You been talking to my wife? The tac is a fixed barrel. Im not big on ghost sights. Thanks for all the input i will get the nova and cut it down. I have thought about sucking it up and buying a beneli semi auto.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I think 24" would work good. I really think mine must've been the 26" model.

Get the M2 and never look back.

Well-Known Fanatic
I just called local shop and he has a 24" nova for 389.00 or a m2 for 1500-1700. going with the nova and if i like 3 gun i will move up to the m2 later.

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
Watch the classified if you want an M1/M2. I picked up a "new" 21" M2 on BEnos for $1000 shipped earlier this month. I also saw quite a few used M1's for around $600 on GB.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
I just called local shop and he has a 24" nova for 389.00 or a m2 for 1500-1700. going with the nova and if i like 3 gun i will move up to the m2 later.
that price is kind of high for an m2 you can find them cheaper on gunbroker.... jesse seems to find some good deals on gunbroker...

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
That's a good enough deal on the Nova. Get the 5+ on the Nordic Mag tube. It's like $80 I think. Youcan only start with 9 in the gun if youre not in open class but having that extra plus one capacity could come in handy

314alias

Fanatic
I'm kinda partial to the 870... Dunno about in 3 gun, but dove hunting i can sure get that 4th shell in and shoot it pretty quick.. (its not me, those dove are crazy)

Latest posts