Practical Shooting Training Help

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
So let's face it - we all can't get to the range every day to practice - I have purchased an airsoft to work on some things - but I am curious as to what you do to practice and get better when you can't get out to the range?!?!

B

M

Mitch Harrington

I do A LOT of dry-firing. I practice transitioning between targets as well as movement between shooting positions. I've had some customers look at me pretty strangely when they walk in on me practicing. ;)

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
That's pretty cool!

I used my SureFire shot timer app on my iPhone when practicing weak hand reloads with my shotgun and reloads with the pistol. Too bad my speakers don't work on my computer or I'd definitely use that site.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I practice the drills that Phil gave me in his class:)

I also have both of Steven Andersen's dry fire books as well.

Recently I setup a target stand with 3 targets stapled to it and ports cut in them at various heights so I can practice moving into and out of the ports/position.

I always practice my Weak hand shotgun loads from my shoulder and from my hip both stationary and on the move.

I practice the draw and reloads a bunch since those are easy to do.

Funny the actual dry firing of the trigger isn't as important as all the mechanical stuff is once your trigger control is down.

I will throw in a few AR mag changes and practice getting into the prone position when a 3 gun match is on the horizon.

Levi

New Fanatic
but I am curious as to what you do to practice and get better when you can't get out to the range?!?!

First, have a plan for your next practice session at the range. Then spend time in dry fire practice working fundamental skills that apply to those planned exercises.

Example: If you intend to work "first shot on target" from the holster, then spend time at the house breaking down, working and analyzing your draw stroke, presentation and sight picture acquisition. Work a timer if necessary for the start; work on smoothing out your movement and becoming more efficient, etc. Then go to the range and use your time with live fire exercises to reaffirm that what you are doing with dry fire is working, rather than burning a lot of expensive ammo "practicing".

What ever you choose to do stay intently focused in your dry fire practice prior to range time. If you do not and you scatter your thoughts by trying to do too much or a little bit of everything, you will never get the repetition necessary to yield the positive results you seek from it on the range.

Merely a suggestion.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Yea - I found this the other night and used it - I would draw, dry fire on target - reload and get on target all before it said REHOLSTER - def muffed some reloads but it was pretty handy.

Countdown timer website

Dude, this thing is awesome! I never clicked on it before because I figured it was just another dry fire drill. I am gonna bring my backup airsoft gun to work and run this thing everyday now.