Penny stove, Survival stove.

Dubs Chops

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok I have made a couple of these. and as far as Lightweight and cheap goes it cannot be beat. Period. Check out this sight to get the details and then youtube penny stove for plenty of how to's .
penny stove

Dubs Chops

Well-Known Fanatic
I use denatured alcohol. You can use everclear but it is expensive you can also use rubbing alcohol but it has water in it, I use denatured alcohol from anywhere that supplies paint. It is the cheapest and cleanest burning. I will upload a video if I can figure out how That I have on my phone showing 2 cups of water at a rolling boil. using just 3 oz of fuel.

ez bake

Well-Known Fanatic
That looks cool man.

I built the SuperCat stove (similar) and simmer cat stove - they're here:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

They work surprisingly well.

Dubs Chops

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is a video of it bringing two cups of water to a rolling boil.
video here!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nTSIUA7PW8c" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

can we not embed youtube videos here?

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
97216564293551608131.png

WE DO INDEED HAVE ONE :)

okie-carbine

Well-Known Fanatic
i have made a few stoves like that. i do some experimenting with vienna cans, catfood, potted meat...any kind of little can. pretty cool stuff to mess around with. still cant beat my msr pocket rocket though.

i use heet for my fuel on can stoves.

minibulldesigns on youtubez has taken stoves to teh next level though. crazy stuff.

i have made a few stoves like that. i do some experimenting with vienna cans, catfood, potted meat...any kind of little can. pretty cool stuff to mess around with. still cant beat my msr pocket rocket though.

i use heet for my fuel on can stoves.

minibulldesigns on youtubez has taken stoves to teh next level though. crazy stuff.

Yeah, an MSR or even a Coleman multi-fuel is a good primary stove to have stashed away. I backpacked with a Whisperlite for years and you almost can't wear them out. But these little penny stoves are a fantastic backup. They're as small as you can make a stove and super effective.

Sanjuro82

Fanatic
I have a few alcohol stoves. my smallest is made from one an Amp energy can (the small red bull sized can). It works great. The weight is almost nonexistent.

Latest posts