Para double stack

Bentwing

Fanatic
What do I do with this? I picked this Para all steel double stack frame up from a local mom and pop gun store. 200$ and I couldn't resist. I just finished a single stack build from 1911 builders and had so much fun I thought I would build this up into something.
But what. I have an STI 5" tactical that I just converted to 10mm for fun. It's a great shooter and could probably use this steel frame instead of the polymer STI grip/frame. But, it's done and I don't want to change it. So, what now. I could build up a steel frame 9mm and port the barrel for a five pound pistol with no recoil. Naa, I had a steelmaster for a while, loved it, should have kept it but been there. So what now.
What would this heavy steel frame be good for?
I see VZ makes nice G10 grip panels for it now and the rest should be stock 1911/2011. Need some Para mags though. Anyway, just trying to get a game plan. I have not messed with Para before.
Give me ideas if you care.
Thanks in advance.
Neal

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpeg
    IMG_1550.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 0

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a new Para P-14 (45acp dbl stack) leftover , an online dealer had them @ an attractive price, so
I bought one. Para mags are expensive & hard to find, but I believe Mec-Gar actually made the mags for the P-14, & I was able to find/ buy a few. They look identical to the Para mags..

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a Remington double stack which pretty much same thing, VZ grips worked great on mine, I got my extra mags from Grab A Gun, the Rock Island mags worked in it as well, mine the 9mm, sold it awhile back, probably should have kept it

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I was a bit wary of buying a Para, after reading about them, but since the P-14 was on a closeout sale, decided to take a chance, ordering one.
When my P-14 arrived, I disassembled it & looked it over, closely. The internal finish was as well executed as the attractive exterior finish.. A quick trip to my range found it functioned flawlessly, with a variety of my handloads, using different shapes & weights of bullets. I went back to the website where I'd ordered it, and was going to order another Para, a dbl. stack 1911 in 40 S&W. By the time I got on the site ,they had sold out..:mad:

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
that would have been a nice pick up, double stack 40, the Remington, Para's and the Rock Islands not quite as sleek as the Staccatos and the Bul Armory 2011 types but not bad, several decent options out now for reasonable prices double stacks, Girsan, Tisas and Metro Arms

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
As I posted, the finish ( & overall the entire gun) is as nice as my Sig 1911, DW CBOB, or any other 1911 I have, much nicer than the RIA's I have & the Metro Arms.
My Metro Arms " American Classic " ( Cmdr sized 9mm) had a pit in the barrel, found while cleaning it shortly after purchase.
I couldn't return the just the barrel, I was told I had to send the entire pistol (@ my expense) to their contracted gunsmith, that was handling their warranty repairs.
I bought a replacement barrel & had it fitted to the gun by my gunsmith. Won't own another Metro Arms product.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
That's the kind of customer service that just stinks, policy says whole gun has to be shipped, we don't care if we loose you forever as a customer! That's our policy and we're sticking to it! Good grief just send the barrel ‍♂️We have 4 Metro Arms, I bought my boys matching 9's and 45's, the bluing is outstanding, they haven't shot them much, no problems so far, my gunsmith buddy put extended magwells and Dawson fiber optic sights, I added Lok Grips to all four, but if trouble does pop up they will go to him

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Speaking of double stack 1911's Grab A Gun has the Rock Island double stack in 10 mm for 499.95

Bentwing

Fanatic
This double stack para frame says built in USA- Connecticut I believe. It's obviously cast and seems decent quality so I thought I would just have fun with it. It doesn't make sense to put together a carry gun with this and I guess I should take advantage of it's weight and girth and put together a 6" 10mm hunting pistol. Don't have one of them yet. I see Rock Island has a similar offering but I dot think it's a 6" slide. Still pondering…

SoCal1911

Fanatic
I have two Para, P16 Limited and P14 Limited from back in my USPSA days. Both are made in Canada. A whole lot of 40cal shot in the P16. Good pistols, nothing fancy but they just run. Had other Para and all were good.