Overtravel Screw Question

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
A guy on my squad this past Saturday had a dead shotgun on one stage because his overtravel screw moved too far forward and it got me thinking (Uh oh, the two brain cells have collided. Stand back!!) about how they are done. My Versa Max doesn't currently have one and I've thought about putting one in. A couple questions before I take the trusty Kobalt drill to my 1500 dollar gun; Does a gun tend to have the same amount of overtravel, or does it vary as it gets used and abused? My idea is to drill and tap a hole in the back of the trigger guard, use a headless hex screw to determine the necessary length, then countersink the hole and cut a hex screw with a head to the correct length.

My thinking is that using a screw with a head, the worst that could happen if the Loctite comes loose is that the screw backs out; it shouldn't be able to move forward at all.

Am I wrong as two boys banging on the White House lawn in this line of thinking?

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay, so what you're saying is....."Stop looking for an equipment fix to make up for a training deficiency and if I must **** with my guns, send them to a quality gunsmith".

striped1

Well-Known Fanatic
David Marlow said:
Okay, so what you're saying is....."Stop looking for an equipment fix to make up for a training deficiency and if I must **** with my guns, send them to a quality gunsmith".
This is the best advice I have seen on any shooting site in a long time. I may steal it for my sig line.

Latest posts